Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: cedega

Beans

Re: cedega

CrossOver is doing games too. The support on their forum is really good, unlike the total lack of support & the general bad attitude on the Transgaming forum.

The Codeweavers people are honest & give a great deal back to the Wine project. Transgaming make their product out to be better than it really is & give nothing back to Wine.

Transgaming have some agreements with companies regarding copy protection, Codeweavers is apparently starting down that path with their next release, which is due out anytime.

The bottom line is which one supports the games that you want to play. There is a trial version of CrossOver available on their site. I must say that the soon to be released CrossOver V7, is greatly improved as far as games go, I know this because I test it for them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Jelmoh View Post
    Ok, I've searched on some things about Cedega..
    I use Ubuntu and that's why I thought of these forums..
    I wonder if Cedega is any good.
    With wine I get nothing but trouble...
    And Cedega doesn't have a trial edition or so...
    So I want to know if it works well and if I can play the tougher games like Crysis and CoD4? With Windows it works fine, great actually, so the hardware isn't the problem!

Just tell me anything you know about Cedega!
    I doubt you would get the same performances compared to Windows, especially on newest games for the sole reason that your graphics card's linux drivers don't have any open DirectX optimisation.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    CrossOver is doing games too. The support on their forum is really good, unlike the total lack of support & the general bad attitude on the Transgaming forum.

The Codeweavers people are honest & give a great deal back to the Wine project. Transgaming make their product out to be better than it really is & give nothing back to Wine.

Transgaming have some agreements with companies regarding copy protection, Codeweavers is apparently starting down that path with their next release, which is due out anytime.

The bottom line is which one supports the games that you want to play. There is a trial version of CrossOver available on their site. I must say that the soon to be released CrossOver V7, is greatly improved as far as games go, I know this because I test it for them.
    +1

I run UT2004 with it, no problems, great performance. The Linux version would not install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post

Great that they have a trial version! I'm definitely going tot try that!
    Many thanks for your advise and help!
    Hidden text, try to find me!
    Sorry for my bad English. I'm Dutch; that should explain it all!

My first cups of Ubuntu made me want more!

Beans

Yeah, I agree with doorknob60, getting game to work in Linux can be a pain. Some game work with wine, others with Cedega, etc.

Crossover Office is just another Wine modified. It can run game but the main point of Crossover Office is to run... Office! No, seriously, the main goal is to run applications like Photoshop, Lotus Notes, Office, etc, etc

Cedega's main goal is to run game. So, for the main part, it does the job better.

Wine is the base of the two other products and grow really well.

So, in short, if you don't want to use a proprietary application, Wine will do the job but you will work hard to play some game.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The trick with WINE is making a symlink pointing to Common Files in your .wine directory. A symlink to my entire System32 folder crashes however.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by djf_jeff View Post
    Yeah, I agree with doorknob60, getting game to work in Linux can be a pain. Some game work with wine, others with Cedega, etc.

Crossover Office is just another Wine modified. It can run game but the main point of Crossover Office is to run... Office! No, seriously, the main goal is to run applications like Photoshop, Lotus Notes, Office, etc, etc

Cedega's main goal is to run game. So, for the main part, it does the job better.

Wine is the base of the two other products and grow really well.

So, in short, if you don't want to use a proprietary application, Wine will do the job but you will work hard to play some game.
    CrossOver is changing.

They are focusing on games more & growing their product. They too will apparently be acquiring copy protection licenses for games.
    Their handling of GW on the pre release version of CrossOver 7 looks vastly superior to what it ever has on any machine I have owned, & on a 24" iMac with miserable ATi graphic card, it still outperforms the GeForce 7950GT /512Mb DDR3 on a vastly more powerful machine than the iMac.

Also, under Gutsy, on the iMac, the display of GW under Cedega, is very much inferior to that of GW under OS X & CrossOver.

Interestingly Codeweavers seem to be dropping the Office part from the CrossOver products name. They refer to their products as CrossOver Mac & CrossOver Linux these days.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12