Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: HOWTO: Customize terminal header

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: HOWTO: Customize terminal header

Here is mine (Kind of long):
    \[\e]0;\u@\h: \w\a\]\[\e[33;1m\]\u\[\e[37;1m\]@\[\e[32;1m\]\h\[\e[20;1m\]\[\e[34;1m\](\[\e[31;1m\]\w\[\e[34;1m\])\[\e[0m\]$\[\e[0m\]
    Nick Presta

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

If I use the default then anything I type wraps to the next line when it reaches the end of the Terminal window. If I alter it then it simply wraps o the beginning of the same line I started typing on.

Default:
    Code:
    ${debian_chroot:+($debian_chroot)}\u@\h:\w\$
    Mine:
    Code:
    \[\e[0;33m\] [\W] \$\e[m\]
    And when in my home folder that gives me the nice simple prompt of
    Code:
    [~]
    Sample of problem:
    Code:
    geoff@Podfather:~$ sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text
    bash: sample: command not found
    geoff@Podfather:~$ export PS1='\[\e[0;33m\] [\W] \$\e[m\]'
    t[~] $ sample text sample text sample text sample text sample text sample tex
    Note in the bold line how the last 't' in the final 'text' wraps to the beginning of the line I am typing on instead of wrapping to the next line? If I were to continue typing it would overwrite the rest of the line I started on.

It also messes with using the up and down arrow keys to scroll through the command history, but that's much harder to describe.

How do I fix this?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SentientFluid View Post
    If I use the default then anything I type wraps to the next line when it reaches the end of the Terminal window. If I alter it then it simply wraps o the beginning of the same line I started typing on.
    Whatever makes the same line being used over again, it has to do with the strange escape sequences you are using.
    From what you posted, the basic pattern you want for your prompt is '[\W] \$ '. The rest is coloring it by adding escape sequences, e.g. '\[\e[0;33m\]'. The M;3N (0;33 in my example) is the part where you specify the color - N is a number between 0 (black) and 7 (white), and M is either 0 (dark) or 1 (bright).
    The escape sequence is '\[\e[0m\]' - you need to use this after the parts you intend to color, so that the following text will have the default color.
    As an example, try this:
    Code:
    PS1='\[\e[0;33m\][\W] \[\e[0m\]\$ '

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kaiju View Post
    Whatever makes the same line being used over again, it has to do with the strange escape sequences you are using.
    From what you posted, the basic pattern you want for your prompt is '[\W] \$ '. The rest is coloring it by adding escape sequences, e.g. '\[\e[0;33m\]'. The M;3N (0;33 in my example) is the part where you specify the color - N is a number between 0 (black) and 7 (white), and M is either 0 (dark) or 1 (bright).
    The escape sequence is '\[\e[0m\]' - you need to use this after the parts you intend to color, so that the following text will have the default color.
    As an example, try this:
    Code:
    PS1='\[\e[0;33m\][\W] \[\e[0m\]\$ '
    That helped, thanks! I wasn't escaping the closing sequence correctly. This is working fine now:

Code:
    export PS1='\[\e[0;33m\][\W]\$\[\e[0m\] '
    Teach me to try and do this when I'm tired.

Beans
    Distro

i don't even know how to find or access a ~/.bashrc file. do i get to it from the terminal? how do i edit it? the tutorial isn't in depth enough, at least, not for me.
    Nothing real can be threatened.
    Nothing unreal exists.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by D1ZZ4ZZT3R View Post
    i don't even know how to find or access a ~/.bashrc file. do i get to it from the terminal? how do i edit it? the tutorial isn't in depth enough, at least, not for me.
    To access your ~/.bashrc file type into the terminal:

sudo gedit ~/.bashrc

to add and save changes to your ~/.bashrc file via the gedit text editor.

This is one of the nice how-to

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jpardue View Post
    To access your ~/.bashrc file type into the terminal:

sudo gedit ~/.bashrc

to add and save changes to your ~/.bashrc file via the gedit text editor.
    There's no need in opening the user owned .bashrc as root. Besides, if you want to open a file as root in a graphical program, one should use gksudo.
    Disclaimer: I am currently suffering from severe CSD (Compulsive Sarcasm Disorder).
    My Site | Linux User #452328 | Running Arch Linux on Sony Vaio VGN-SZ61XN/C since October 2008

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi, I have mine set up with the colors I want and it looks like [jake-ubuntu|05:47 PM|jake] ~ $
    (but has colors)

I want to know if I make the | signs green, and keep everything else there same colors.

Is this possible?

If it is can you show me the code and where to put it in the ps1 line?

Thanks!

Edit : Never mind, I figured it out . I just had to add a "\" after "|"
    Last edited by Evilhugbear; February 21st, 2010 at 03:57 AM. Reason: Figured it out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by NickPresta View Post
    Here is mine (Kind of long):
    \[\e]0;\u@\h: \w\a\]\[\e[33;1m\]\u\[\e[37;1m\]@\[\e[32;1m\]\h\[\e[20;1m\]\[\e[34;1m\](\[\e[31;1m\]\w\[\e[34;1m\])\[\e[0m\]$\[\e[0m\]
    Ya.... that's impressive. A lot of colors.
    I go for this one:
    export PS1='\[\033[01;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[00m\]:\[\033[01;34m\]\w\[\033[00m\]\$ '

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123