Thread: New Episodes Only?

Beans

Question New Episodes Only?

A friend and I worked a 24 hour marathon on two similar systems, and we have really excellent working MythBuntu systems now (check this out for the specs if interested).

THING IS! And I've really tried hard to find information on this, but cannot, is that it keeps listing RE-RUNS to be recorded.

Clearly it knows RE-RUNS and old shows from one another, sometimes I see a "re-run" tag or an old original air date.

Why do I not see an option to tell MythTV to only record NEW episodes of things?

i.e.

Daily Show With John Stewart
    or
    South Park

I've run through everything I can think of, but it keeps scheduling re-runs for recording!

How can I get it to not record re-runs for certain shows like those?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New Episodes Only?

This is going to depend a lot on how much data the network provides about the show. Personally, i've seen that networks like comedy central don't often have all the data for the daily show. To get around this, i'll tell it to record only at say 10 PM, weekdays. I'll still get a few duplicates here and there, but its a lot better than when i tell it to record every episode.

Additionally there is a flag to record only 'new episodes', but this will only work if the network provides adequate data.

Beans

Thanks for the info super.

What is that flag? How do I use it? Any FAQs on it or anything?

I get what your saying too, I noticed the Daily show tends to list some things as 1999 -- but it mostly doesn't seem to be a huge problem -- in fact the new episodes are listing appropriately as future 2008 dates for this week respectively.

Rock on.

Beans

I cannot imagine I'm the only one grinding their teeth on this.

Anyone know *how* to force MythTV to record only new episodes of things?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Mrbbad View Post
    Thanks for the info super.

What is that flag? How do I use it? Any FAQs on it or anything?

I get what your saying too, I noticed the Daily show tends to list some things as 1999 -- but it mostly doesn't seem to be a huge problem -- in fact the new episodes are listing appropriately as future 2008 dates for this week respectively.

Rock on.
    The flag for a "new" episode is determined by its "first air" date. You can look at your recording schedule and customize if this is looked at in the "Look for duplicates in" section. You can get to this in both mythweb and mythfrontend.