Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accusation of mod being unfairly selective, elitist and racist.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 4.10

Re: Accusation of mod being unfairly selective, elitist and racist.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    .....Please file your complaint with whomever you wish to file it.

In general, the next level above this location (the forums' Resolution Center) would be the Forum Council, followed by the Ubuntu Community Council.
    That's fine, thankyou for that information.

I am not upto speed on all the rules and semantics of this site, I simply ask questions and try to help out other users when I can.

Now I know, I will respect and comply with those rules and order of doing things.

Beans

I have looked at this .

Kvonb... Pricechild is not racist or elitest in his actions in the thread concerned. I have never witnessed anything from Pricechild that would be discribed as racist or elitest.

I have reopened the thread concerned .
    The code of conduct clause 10 states

"Please try to write your posts in English unless you are participating in a Loco Forum, where you are permitted to use another language if it is in common use in that Loco Forum and understood by the Loco Forum staff. We have many users from many different countries that visit here and English is the common language of these forums. "

The code does not rule out the use of other languages. Also binary is code that is understood by many and transcends cultures .
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 4.10

So the consensus is this as I understand it:

1. Pricechild was simply enforcing the policy of the forum.

2. Special permission is required to speak a language other than English, unless there is a "special" room for doing so.

3. The definition of "non-english language" is completely at the discretion of the forum moderators.

OK, let me give you a quick scenario of why this "English only" policy (which is by association, also the policy of Canonical Ltd) is in my belief inherently racist:

I start a Linux users group (in Australia for arguments sake), and several hundred people turn up.

Most would be English speaking, but as Australia is a multi cultural society, several Vietnamese Australians turn up and are welcomed as part of this new "community".

These Vietnamese Australians start talking between themselves in Vietnamese.

I then approach these people and tell them "Sorry, you are not permitted to speak Vietnamese, unless I supply a person who I trust to supervise you, because for all I know you could be swearing and making fun of the English speakers here".

How long do you think my user group would last?

I can estimate that I would be closed down and facing charges of racism within a week.

This is unacceptable social behavior in most civilised societies, and I would expect nothing less form an online community, especially one that supposedly embraces diversity and "freedom".

It would seem that "freedom" in this case simply means "freedom to do as we tell you".

So with that in mind, I hereby publicly apologise to pricechild for labelling him a racist, as he was simply "doing his job".

A term some people will be familiar with from recent events in history.

Telling people which language they can or cannot speak, is in my opinion, both insulting and racist.

Furthermore, I wish to disassociate myself from ubuntuforums.org, Ubuntu Linux, and also Canonical Ltd, as I cannot bring myself to be associated with a group or organisation that promotes segregation and racism.

I request that you remove any and all material from the forum that I have contributed over the years, and henceforth remove my account forthwith.

Beans

Okay you have an ability to see things in only one way .Did you not see this bit of the Code of Conduct ..."Please try to write your posts in English"

Again it says PLEASE TRY TO WRITE ENGLISH.....

But no more on that .

If you no longer wish to participate in these forums , that is your choice. Sad but I accept your choice, but please do not call the other members here racist when you do not back your accusations with eveidence. Also if you had read the Code of Conduct and forum FAQ you would have read that we do not delete accounts etc.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kvonb View Post
    So the consensus is this as I understand it:

1. Pricechild was simply enforcing the policy of the forum.
    He didn't even actively enforce it, he merely informed users in the thread as to what that policy is so as to prevent any problems in the future. No posts were edited or removed, and no official warnings or infractions were given.

EDIT: I was mistaken on part of this answer. Apparently some posts were edited and at least one infraction was given. Everything else I said applies. My apologies for the errors. I found out when I received this PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PriceChild
    btw I did edit posts and issue a couple of warnings after my suggestions in the thread went unheeded.
    2. Special permission is required to speak a language other than English, unless there is a "special" room for doing so.
    That's a bit overstated and pointed, but the basic idea is that there are places in the forums where the use of languages other than English are not merely permitted, but actively encouraged. In other areas, we have requested that users please use English for the sake of communicating with as wide of an audience as possible, and to prevent as many misunderstandings as possible.

3. The definition of "non-english language" is completely at the discretion of the forum moderators.
    No.

The definition of non-English language is any tongue used to communicate that is not English.

That definition excludes codes and encryption forms, they are not languages, they are a means of obscuring language, but the language of communication itself still remains...your objection to the use of binary was rejected on that grounds...well, that and the facts that binary is really, really simple to change to ascii, and that every tested message in the binary thread was posted in English, using language that is appropriate and well within the guidelines of the Forums CoC.

OK, let me give you a quick scenario of why this "English only" policy (which is by association, also the policy of Canonical Ltd) is in my belief inherently racist:
    I read it. Your analogy is flawed. The people in your LUG would all be in the same room, able to read one another's body language, gestures and facial expressions. Furthermore, it seems appropriate to presume that they would not be attempting to give presentations (which is what the equivalent of publicly readable posts would be in your analogy) in a language of a minority. If you were invited to give a public speech or presentation, or to sit on a panel at a conference, or even ask that panel a question while attending a conference, you would reasonably be expected to do so in the language in which the conference was being held.

Forum (dictionary.com): 3.an assembly, meeting place, television program, etc., for the discussion of questions of public interest.

This is a much better analogy.

Furthermore, I wish to disassociate myself from ubuntuforums.org, Ubuntu Linux, and also Canonical Ltd, as I cannot bring myself to be associated with a group or organisation that promotes segregation and racism.

I request that you remove any and all material from the forum that I have contributed over the years, and henceforth remove my account forthwith.
    Regrettably, we are not able to fulfill your request. We do not remove accounts or posts. If you would like your personal account data removed from your account, I can do that for you.
    Last edited by matthew; January 21st, 2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: mistake near the top. See edit.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12