Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux users are poor ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Linux users are poor ?

Pretty much anyone who qualifies as a "Linux user", as someone pointed out, ostensibly has the great luxury of owning a computer.

If you can afford a computer, you most certainly do not qualify as impoverished in my opinion.

Someone is "poor" if they do not have access to/can't afford things like heat in the winter, food, clothing, sewage service, etc. Keeping this in perspective, nobody here would really qualify as poor. And the frivolous question of "which computer operating system to use?" is the last thing on the minds of people who actually are.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by johndc View Post
    Pretty much anyone who qualifies as a "Linux user", as someone pointed out, ostensibly has the great luxury of owning a computer.

If you can afford a computer, you most certainly do not qualify as impoverished in my opinion.

Someone is "poor" if they do not have access to/can't afford things like heat in the winter, food, clothing, sewage service, etc. Keeping this in perspective, nobody here would really qualify as poor. And the frivolous question of "which computer operating system to use?" is the last thing on the minds of people who actually are.
    Bingo. End of discussion. Time to close this thread.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I wish I could convince them to give me a raise, but I'm not doing too bad.

Money2theMax, CALs are "Client Access Licenses". It's a way to purchase Windows. You can either buy a separate license for each machine, or if you're doing some sort of terminal server setup, you can buy a Windows Server copy and x CALs, allowing you to have x clients connected to that server.

Anyway, back on topic... Linux users aren't poor. They're making a tradeoff decision. I can either buy Windows and not tinker with my Operating System EVER, or I can get $DISTRO for free and maybe have to tweak it a bit to get it to work (although even the tweaking is getting to be less & less). If you like messing around with computers, it's just good financial sense to stay away from Windows.

And johndc is right... if someone's truly poor, their OS is the last thing on their mind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

No!

I just prefer not to spend money on things if I can avoid it.
    +Solace @DeviantArt | Awesome Guide | Beginners Team Member
    Canadian Forces 2007-present

Beans
    Hidden!

theres nothing wrong with owning an expensive computer nor a cheaper one, nothing at all. i don't see the point of this thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by inversekinetix View Post
    theres nothing wrong with owning an expensive computer nor a cheaper one, nothing at all. i don't see the point of this thread
    Of course there's nothing wrong with either of those things.

As for the point of this thread: there are people who say that the only reason to use Linux is because it's free as in beer. Of course, they're wrong, and most of us who use it don't use it for that specific reason.
    Evidently, the OP heard that cliche somewhere, and was asking if it had any validity.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro

I own a legit copy of Windows and I've chosen not to use it. Not because it's free in any way, but rather because it does everything I want, whereas Windows did not (for me, at least).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ~LoKe View Post
    No!

I just prefer not to spend money on things if I can avoid it.
    nice are those black things next to your duel monitors your computer speakers?
    "Blood feeds the war machine as it eats its way across the land." -No Remorse-
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof." -V For Vendetta-
    My Home Page-Free Computer Repair

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by money2themax View Post
    nice are those black things next to your duel monitors your computer speakers?
    "Computer speakers"?

Technically, yes. I have my computer hooked up to the receiver you see on the left.

Beans

I'm not poor. Usually people say that I'm rich, though I'm really just middle class....
    =Josh.Harris

Page 3 of 33 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast