Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: waih: Warty After Install Helper

Beans

waih: Warty After Install Helper

New feature! Mozilla Firefox can now be upgraded to 1.0 using the packages from the Ubuntu Backports Project.
    This script is designed to help new Ubuntu users perform some common tasks such as installing Java, Flash, and the Nvidia drivers. You can either download the script here. The script has been well tested and so far nothing has been broken.

Some things to mention:
    • The script is designed for new installs of Warty. It should work on existing installs hopefully.
    • This script so far only works on x86 machines. Sorry ppc users. I don't have a Mac and no one I know with one wants to try Ubuntu (they should though).
    • The Nvidia install works great. ATi install I'm not sure about. I don't have an ATi card and I don't know anybody with one either. Testing needed!
    • The script is currently not very smart. It doesn't even try to recover from errors. I hope to make it smarter eventually.
    • If anybody has any ideas for other tasks this script can do please let me know.

Finally I would like to thank everyone who's contributed to the Ubuntu Linux Wiki and the Ubuntu Forums HowTos. This script mainly just automates the instructions provided by those HowTos. You guys have done all the hard work.
    Last edited by Nis; December 9th, 2004 at 01:37 AM.

Beans

Re: waih: Warty After Install Helper

very nice, i didn't use it cause i use hoary, but when i get my test machine back from a friend i'll give it a shot.

Ummm one quick thing, it's probably nothing, but k7 is actually all current amd's (Duron, Athlon, AthlonXP, mobile athlon) not just durons like you have stated...

sorry... i'm a perfectionist
    "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain." - Philippians 1:21 (NIV)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oddabe19
    Ummm one quick thing, it's probably nothing, but k7 is actually all current amd's (Duron, Athlon, AthlonXP, mobile athlon) not just durons like you have stated...
    Easy fix. Any corrections are quite welcome.

Beans

one more thing, i really would like to see an output into terminal (or a command box or something) to see what exactly it is doing (downloading, installing, whatever) so i can see if there are hangups or something.

but that's just my opinion

Beans

one more thing, i really would like to see an output into terminal (or a command box or something) to see what exactly it is doing (downloading, installing, whatever) so i can see if there are hangups or something.

but that's just my opinion
    Unfortunately it's not very easy to do with Zenity. Right now all output is redirected towards Zenity so the progress dialogs know when to auto-close. I'll look into it though. Maybe a flag or something to use terminal output instead of Zenity.

Beans

New feature! Mozilla Firefox can be upgraded to 1.0 (see above).

Beans

it works well.... i tried the original version.... Java didn't work/ install though.

Beans

it works well.... i tried the original version.... Java didn't work/ install though.
    Could you give me some information about what happened during the Java install? Did the xterm open up with the EULA from Sun?

Beans

That's a great idea. Keep it up. It's nice to be able to set up a new box, then running your script, and voila : flash, java, multimedia and anything I (or my relatives) use is installed!

Good job.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nis
    Could you give me some information about what happened during the Java install? Did the xterm open up with the EULA from Sun?
    not that i recall, it didn't....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast