New feature! Mozilla Firefox can now be upgraded to 1.0 using the packages from the Ubuntu Backports Project.
This script is designed to help new Ubuntu users perform some common tasks such as installing Java, Flash, and the Nvidia drivers. You can either download the script here. The script has been well tested and so far nothing has been broken.
Some things to mention:
- The script is designed for new installs of Warty. It should work on existing installs hopefully.
- This script so far only works on x86 machines. Sorry ppc users. I don't have a Mac and no one I know with one wants to try Ubuntu (they should though).
- The Nvidia install works great. ATi install I'm not sure about. I don't have an ATi card and I don't know anybody with one either. Testing needed!
- The script is currently not very smart. It doesn't even try to recover from errors. I hope to make it smarter eventually.
- If anybody has any ideas for other tasks this script can do please let me know.
Finally I would like to thank everyone who's contributed to the Ubuntu Linux Wiki and the Ubuntu Forums HowTos. This script mainly just automates the instructions provided by those HowTos. You guys have done all the hard work.