Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Laptop Under $750

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Best Laptop Under $750

I may be looking for a laptop computer for college. Right now I have about $750 to spend on one, but I can gather more money if the jump in performance is worth it.

I have looked at ASUS's eeePC. They are sweet, but with only 8gb of storage and integrated video this may not be the best thing If I need to run a program that needs 3d acceleration.

I have only used a laptop a few times, so I can't say I am as good with them as I am desktops. This is why I am asking for some advice.
    Desktop:ECS nForce4M -A, AMD x2 +4800, 2gb DDR2 800, BFG 8500gt, WD 320gb, M-audio Audiophile 192 Ubuntu 7.10
    Laptop:System 76 Pangolin Value Intel T5250 1.5ghz 1gb DDR2 667, 60gb HD, 8600gt 256mb Ubuntu 8.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Best Laptop Under $750

Dells with Ubuntu are pretty good...
    I'd recommend a Toughbook or Lenovo, but I'm not entirely sure what either of those are priced at...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Psychopath View Post
    Dells with Ubuntu are pretty good...
    I'd recommend a Toughbook or Lenovo, but I'm not entirely sure what either of those are priced at...
    Toughbooks are pretty expensive, I believe.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thinkpads are nice and most are Linux friendly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Well, if you don't mind the size of the Eee, but just don't like the storage capacity, you might be interested in this:
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9057441

Not out till the end of the month, but it's well under your price cap and it's got a 30 GB HDD.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: Best Laptop Under $750

A friend of mine is getting a Linux laptop from here:

http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The starting price on the Dell 1420N is $794 and there is currently some coupons that will help with the price if you set it up for $899 or more. So get an $899+ machine for $699+ ... not too shabby.

As a matter of fact I took them up on the offer myself. Should arrive tomorrow or Monday.
    Last edited by dustigroove; January 18th, 2008 at 08:58 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lightbulb Re: Best Laptop Under $750

yes,the Dells do look mighty nice.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Well, if you don't mind the size of the Eee, but just don't like the storage capacity, you might be interested in this:
    http://www.computerworld.com/action/...icleId=9057441

Not out till the end of the month, but it's well under your price cap and it's got a 30 GB HDD.
    It still lacks a video card that I want.

I would also like to have XP on it. I would never use it unless I need it for some programs where Wine won't work. I am open to getting something with vista, wiping that, and putting XP on. I could get credit for my unused copy of Vista.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115410

I now this is at my price limit of $1000, but it has what i want. Has anyone used an Acer laptop?
    Desktop:ECS nForce4M -A, AMD x2 +4800, 2gb DDR2 800, BFG 8500gt, WD 320gb, M-audio Audiophile 192 Ubuntu 7.10
    Laptop:System 76 Pangolin Value Intel T5250 1.5ghz 1gb DDR2 667, 60gb HD, 8600gt 256mb Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

I have an acer Ferrari 4005 that I got a couple (maybe near 3?) years ago from an online discount retailer and its served well. Been a great machine for me, though I do hate the car branding.

I guess with the video card, IMO an 8400 M isn't really a serious 3-D card, if you just want movies, compiz-fusion, it's probably fine, but don't expect to play ET: quake wars.

My only thought is that 17" laptops aren't very portable and the battery life sucks, but I don't really have too good an idea what you want.

Another thing to consider is that once you hit that 1000-1200 range, you could get a cheap laptop (such as that Asus eee pc thing) and a decent desktop (say $550 to build + $200 monitor) and you have spent $1150 and now have portable internet/word processor and more gaming power.

Once again not too sure about what you really want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast