Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PlayOnLinux

Beans

PlayOnLinux

We have a review of POL at Wine-Review with screenshots of a Office 2003 install.

About POL:

PlayOnLinux (POL) is a python-based frontend (with bash install scripts) to install windows programs in Wine. Originally, the program's purpose was to let new linux users install their favorite windows games with ease. Since then, the program has evolved to include office-based windows programs (such as MSOffice 2003), and DOS based programs (using DosBox).

The review is here: http://wine-review.blogspot.com/2008...ayonlinux.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: PlayOnLinux

Sounds cool, is there a list of support apps?

EDIT: http://www.playonlinux.com/scripts_v...repository.php is a list of supported software
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans

good. does it handle unsupported stuff like gameguard or mmorphs? it looks simple.
    My favorite distros: Archbang / Manjaro / Sabayon
    Registered Linux user number 478398
    Other Notables: Ubuntu, Pinguy OS, ZorinOS, Vectorlinux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
    good. does it handle unsupported stuff like gameguard or mmorphs? it looks simple.
    Doesnt look like its anything but a GUI for installing certain apps in Wine, so no it wouldnt do anything you can't already do in Wine.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project
    My blog

Beans

List of supported apps, games here:
    http://www.playonlinux.com/en/scripts.html

What is 100% Cool about this tool is it lets you install multiple versions of Wine at the same time, even wine from git .... And it does all the hard work for you!

So if you have a game that plays in version 0.9.52 but its broke in 0.9.53 and we will say you have a second game that works with 0.9.53 and that's why you upgraded Wine....you can easily use both versions of Wine now.

It also has a DosBox plug in and IEs4Linux plug in..

Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by twickline View Post
    What is 100% Cool about this tool is it lets you install multiple versions of Wine at the same time, even wine from git .... And it does all the hard work for you!

So if you have a game that plays in version 0.9.52 but its broke in 0.9.53 and we will say you have a second game that works with 0.9.53 and that's why you upgraded Wine....you can easily use both versions of Wine now.

It also has a DosBox plug in and IEs4Linux plug in.
    Now that is interesting...If i didnt dual boot this would be awesome. I'm gonna go try it out now! Thanks!
    My blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Will this work well with Wine Doors already installed on my system? Also, I see on Wine Doors' website (http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/) that Office 2003 is supported, but how do I get to it? It's not in the list of programs that are installable.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Wine is real bad for using Internet Explorer, the screen flickers very bad when a site using flash is visited. Almost makes it unusable.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I found this funny because I was working on a front-end for WINE and the interface is almost exactly the same. Someone saved me a lot of work .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ycason View Post
    Will this work well with Wine Doors already installed on my system? Also, I see on Wine Doors' website (http://www.wine-doors.org/wordpress/) that Office 2003 is supported, but how do I get to it? It's not in the list of programs that are installable.

Thanks
    Activate Workonlinux repositry, then try to find it under "install"

HTH.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast