Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me Stay with Ubuntu!

Beans

Re: Help me Stay with Ubuntu!

Some thoughts.

For converting files there is winff. It converts almost anything and is fast. (not in repositories) To convert avi's to dvd I use Mandvd. It blows anything windows has out of orbit.
    I don't know what dvdshrink is, but for ripping dvd's there is always the great dvd:rip, the repositories are loaded with other dvd rippers.

For video editing I use avidemux, it's not like I need to edit whole movies on it. It gets the job done. There is professional software I think, why not buy it? You mention photoshop (extremely expensive) but you won't buy an video editor?

For photo managment there is googles picasa. Wich has an ubuntu installer if i'm not mistaken.

The photoshop argument is only valid if you used photoshop before you used the gimp. I did and switching to the gimp was hard, but I couldn't go back to photoshop again. It feels to massive to handle. (and older photoshop versions work on wine, unless you are a professional (and even then) you don't need the latest version to get the job done). And you could always use gimpshop, it gives a better UI for the gimp.

K3b is without a doubt the best burning software available. Quick and easy UI.

Since vlc is on linux, videos are just as good as on any other platform.

Audio players like amarok, exaile are on par with the best windows and osx have to offer. But songbird is the single greatest audio player I've ever used.

9/10 things you do in the terminal can be done with the gui. The terminal is just faster for SOME things.

It seems like you can't let go of your windows software. Too bad for you.

Dual boot or virtualisation are an option.
    Last edited by billgoldberg; January 17th, 2008 at 01:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by orb9220 View Post
    I need people to find wrongs with my arguments of why I can't stay with ubuntu 100% of the time.
    Thanks!
    Why? If your addicted to Microsoft and their way of doing things then stick with them. They will love you for the money you needlessly throw their way!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Lightbulb Re: Help me Stay with Ubuntu!

Quote Originally Posted by buntunub View Post
    Why? If your addicted to Microsoft and their way of doing things then stick with them. They will love you for the money you needlessly throw their way!
    They would indeed...And just think of all the new and nasty infections that will be coming your way...Nothing like discovering something really viral on your PC to get that adrenalin rush,no?
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I've recently written a how-to you will find useful. Most of it is just a matter of cut and paste.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=661833

Even encrytped DVD's should work afterwards.

Nathan

Beans

what i found funny about this is the fact that when the linux environment started been popular the motto was " from programmers to programmers" and it is also free. I am not a programmer myself but problems will arise to the point where you wont be able to do something. That is because the people that support linux take their free time to do it and microsoft gets millions to get some app to look pretty. I honestly have changed to ubuntu for good and will stay that way. It works my brain to figure some stuff out sometimes, but you know what they say: "if you dont use it, you lose it" --

Cheers,

Beans

@orb9220

i agree with almost all of your issues. I have to use XP a lot as there are just no Linux alternatives that compare. I wont repeat them again but they involve media, cad, and engineering.

I've tried and i've tried to use Linux 100% for all my needs but it is impossible and i have a depressing feeling that it'll stay this way.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I have to agree with the DVD creation process. Linux lags far behind Windows in that regard. I use transcode, ffmpeg, and dvdauthor to create dvd videos, but I cant make menus etc that way and its all done from the command line. It just makes a dvd that when you stick in a player it just goes straight to playing the movie. Luckily thats good enough for me, but I would like to see a better GUI than is currently available for Linux.

As for photoshop, have you checked out Pixel? Here is a good article on it with a link to their main page: http://everlong-design.com/design/pi...p-alternative/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12