Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System requirements for Doom3

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

System requirements for Doom3

I have a computer with 512MB RAM and 2.6Ghz processor, as well as a 64MB graphics card etc...

I've gotten Doom3 to run on Windows, although I had to turn down some of the settings, however I haven't tested it on Linux (I just borrowed it for a few weeks and played it on Windows).

I want to get it for Linux, but is it likely that it will require more RAM or run slower on Linux (I have my graphics card driver installed with 3D accelaration but it's a fairly old NVidia card).

So I guess my question is: Does running Doom3 on Linux require more system requirements or go slower than on Windows.

Also, would it go faster if I loaded it from within Fluxbox or something rather than load KDE then try to run it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: System requirements for Doom3

Doom 3 on Linux has lower system requirements than Windows. Look under "Minimum Specs" here. Windows required a slightly more beefy system than the one listed there. And my experience bears that out: I have a system with both Linux and Windows on it that's barely over the minimum Windows system requirements as listed on the box, and it runs a bit faster on Linux.

I'm sure that choice of desktop will minimally impact the performance if you have a system that barely meets the requirements, but generally it's not that big of a deal.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorSeven View Post
    Doom 3 on Linux has lower system requirements than Windows. Look under "Minimum Specs" here. Windows required a slightly more beefy system than the one listed there. And my experience bears that out: I have a system with both Linux and Windows on it that's barely over the minimum Windows system requirements as listed on the box, and it runs a bit faster on Linux.
    w00t, another win for Linux, hopefully this means I can turn up soem graphics at least.

I'm sure that choice of desktop will minimally impact the performance if you have a system that barely meets the requirements, but generally it's not that big of a deal.
    I was just thinking since KDE by default will use up more RAM, that I'd be less likely to start hitting swap space if I was in Fluxbox or something, but I'm not really sure, I'll probably try it in KDE anyway and then if it seems slow I can switch to Fluxbox and try it

Beans

To properly test the performance impact of KDE, why not run doom3 in a plain X session? Log out, switch to a VT, /etc/init.d/gdm stop, X, back to VT, DISPLAY:0.0 doom3

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by simplyw00x View Post
    To properly test the performance impact of KDE, why not run doom3 in a plain X session? Log out, switch to a VT, /etc/init.d/gdm stop, X, back to VT, DISPLAY:0.0 doom3
    Sounds interesting, in fact I could ppobably just set that up as a session entry if I really wanted to (I think, haven't really tried anything like that before), just log in straight to Doom

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have 1gb ram and 256mb vram.
    Doom 3 runs on High, no AA, 800 x 600 in Windows without a problem.
    Doom 3 runs on Ultra High Anti-aliasing 2x 1024 x 768 in Linux without a problem.

What is the difference for you so far?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by person_99 View Post
    What is the difference for you so far?
    I haven't actually gotten the game yet, but I probably will soon, next time I'm near gamestop. I've played it on Windows XP and it ran fairly well on low settings, can't remember actual settings, so basically as long as it matches that on Linux it should be fine.

Beans
    Distro

Gamestop sells PC games too?
    Man, it is the end of Gameco.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by person_99 View Post
    Gamestop sells PC games too?
    Man, it is the end of Gameco.
    They do near where I live, not nearly as much as they sell for consoles, they have a stand for the new really popular games, and one for old, cheap games. So not much of a selection, but they have Doom3

Beans
    Distro

I was just there a few minutes ago. Only the highly popular games, like Crysis, Bioshock, Doom 3, COD 4, F.E.A.R, ect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast