Thread: Error compiling gcc 4.4.1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Error compiling gcc 4.4.1

Hello,

I am trying to compile GCC 4.4.1. I downloaded the core package and the package for the c++ language(gcc-g++-4.4.1.tar.bz2). I then unpacked first the core package and then the second one in the same directory. The ./configure command was run with the CFLAGS=-m64 parameter.

When I issued the make command this is what I get at some point:

/usr/local/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
    /usr/local/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/../lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
    /usr/local/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.so when searching for -lc
    /usr/local/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /usr/lib/libc.a when searching for -lc
    /usr/local/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lc
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[5]: *** [libgcc_s.so] Error 1
    make[5]: Leaving directory `/media/Data/Work/gcc-4.4.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/32/libgcc'
    make[4]: *** [multi-do] Error 1
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/media/Data/Work/gcc-4.4.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc'
    make[3]: *** [all-multi] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/media/Data/Work/gcc-4.4.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc'
    make[2]: *** [all-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/media/Data/Work/gcc-4.4.1'
    make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/Data/Work/gcc-4.4.1'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

I am running Ubuntu 9.04 x64 and I also installed binutils from GNU..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Error compiling gcc 4.4.1

your libc is incompatible
    maybe the version is wrong or it has been compiled for 32 bit

Beans

if your on i386 compiling for 64 bit you'll need the libc6 64 bit libraries from the repository (libc6-amd64 i think its called)
    on a side note, i believe passing CFLAGS=-m64 isnt recommended, something to do with overriding optimisations, you can pass CFLAGS="-m64 -g -02" instead but generally its better to use CC="gcc -m64" and not use CFLAGS

Beans
    Hidden!

You may want to check your current build of gcc for a full complement of flags used to configure. Omitting one may lead to undesirable or unexpected behaviors.
    Code:
    gcc -v

Beans
    Distro

Well, Synaptic shows me that I have libc6 and libc6-dev (version 2.9-4ubuntu6.1) installed. I notice that there aren't any libc6-amd64 libraries so I think these two are for 64 bit because I see another package called libc6-i386..

I tried compiling it without the -m64 option in the CFLAGS, but I used instead CC=gcc -m64 and the following error occured:

In file included from /usr/include/features.h:354,
    from /usr/include/stdio.h:28,
    from ../../.././libgcc/../gcc/tsystem.h:87,
    from ../../.././libgcc/../gcc/libgcc2.c:29:
    /usr/include/gnu/stubs.h:7:27: error: gnu/stubs-32.h: No such file or directory
    make[5]: *** [_muldi3.o] Error 1
    make[5]: Leaving directory `/media/Data/Work/gcc-4.4.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/32/libgcc'
    make[4]: *** [multi-do] Error 1
    make[4]: Leaving directory `/media/Data/Work/gcc-4.4.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc'
    make[3]: *** [all-multi] Error 2
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/media/Data/Work/gcc-4.4.1/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/libgcc'
    make[2]: *** [all-stage1-target-libgcc] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/media/Data/Work/gcc-4.4.1'
    make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/media/Data/Work/gcc-4.4.1'
    make: *** [all] Error 2

This is what I get when I run gcc -v command:

Using built-in specs.
    Target: x86_64-linux-gnu
    Configured with: ../src/configure -v --with-pkgversion='Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4' --with-bugurl=file:///usr/share/doc/gcc-4.3/README.Bugs --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++ --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/usr/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/include/c++/4.3 --program-suffix=-4.3 --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debug --enable-objc-gc --enable-mpfr --with-tune=generic --enable-checking=release --build=x86_64-linux-gnu --host=x86_64-linux-gnu --target=x86_64-linux-gnu
    Thread model: posix
    gcc version 4.3.3 (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4)

Beans

The stubs-32.h error is caused by missing i386 dev libraries
    $sudo apt-get install libc6-dev-i386

Beans
    Distro

Gee thanks! This did the trick