Thread: Yet another hardware question

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Yet another hardware question

I know you folks answer an ungodly amount of questions regarding hardware...but due to my ignorance, I really don't know where else to turn.

I've found a desktop that I would like to use for installing mythubuntu (both frontend and backend). Below is a list of the hardware...I know that I'm going to need to add quite a few things (like bigger hard drive, tuners, and video card), but I'm wanting to make sure that there isn't something that will cause a major problem (like the integrated Graphics Media Accelerator). Here's the computer:

HP D7100
    3.2GHz Pentium 4, 1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB, 512MB DDR 400MHz (PC3200) Non ECC (2x256MB, 4 slots total, 2 available), (Total bays:* 2x3.5" internal bays; 1x3.5" external bay; 3x5.25" external bays), 40 GB SATA 7200 rpm HDD (uses 1x3.5" internal bay), 48X/32X/48X/16X Combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM with Drive Roxio™ Easy CD Creator, Dantz Retrospect Express, and* InterVideo™ WinDVD™ software (uses 1x5.25" external bay), 2 full-height PCI, 1 full-height PCI-Express X 16, and 1 full-height PCI-Express X 1 slots, 6 Rear USB 2.0 Ports 2 Front USB 2.0 Ports, Intel® integrated Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (up to 224MB), SoundMax Digital AC97 integrated audio with internal speaker, Integrated Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet for HP

Can I make it work? I can acquire this for $200...that's why I want to use it.

Beans

Re: Yet another hardware question

I'm definitely not a hardware guru, but I think part of the question needs to be what you intend to do with it. HD? Multiple tuners? Transcoding? For a basic frontend/backend machine, it sounds fine to me. You can always check the 'functional hardware' forum here as well as some of the others online.