Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Learning Computer Programming FAQ

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Learning Computer Programming FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    I just argue that as long as programmer does not want to be one-pony trick, or single-language code monkey, Python/Ruby is better start than Java/C#.
    While I think that Python is a fantastic language for beginners, I don't follow your reasoning. Learning C# or Java first doesn't shut you off from other languages anymore than Python or Ruby does. In fact, with C#, exposure to other languages, namely Visual Basic .NET, is guaranteed. Often, .NET documentation is written with more than one language, and when it's not, there's a good chance that it's written with VB.NET. Moreover, with .NET, one has the ability to mix languages in a single project, so it would be very easy to convert an existing project into another language piece-by-piece.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
    While I think that Python is a fantastic language for beginners, I don't follow your reasoning. Learning C# or Java first doesn't shut you off from other languages anymore than Python or Ruby does. In fact, with C#, exposure to other languages, namely Visual Basic .NET, is guaranteed. A lot of .NET documentation is written with more than one language, and when it's not, there's a good chance that it's written with VB.NET. Moreover, with .NET, one has the ability to mix languages in a single project, so it would be very easy to convert an existing project into another language piece-by-piece.
    This is not the place for this discussion. That was why I avoided it in the first place. See the "first language thread", link in the OP, and read it. If you see something new, post it there.

With IronPython, you can use .NET with Python, in case you didn't hear of it yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Peyton View Post
    ... I don't follow your reasoning. Learning C# or Java first doesn't shut you off from other languages anymore than Python or Ruby does.
    I am not sure why you think I argue that Python or Ruby shuts you from learning other languages. Just the opposite, experience with teaching Python as intro language lets students to learn Java as second language faster than starting directly with Java. It would be very rare computer user for whom Python will be the only language to learn: maybe some scientist, but definitely not enough for a professional programmer.

Either I cannot parse double negation in your comment or maybe I did not expressed myself clearly enough, but definitely I do not propose Python as the only language for all programmers for all tasks. First, yes, only, never.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

bump

having this thread in FAQ would help poster today

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    bump

having this thread in FAQ would help poster today
    Two of them.

Hopefully, it will be there soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    I specifically asked for it to be a sticky, as most forums make explicit "FAQ"s stickies for better visibility.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by LaRoza View Post
    I specifically asked for it to be a sticky, as most forums make explicit "FAQ"s stickies for better visibility.
    I am discussing it with my fellow staff members. In the interim, I think the name could be changed to :
    How to begin Computer Programming or something similar, what do you think?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    I am discussing it with my fellow staff members. In the interim, I think the name could be changed to :
    How to begin Computer Programming or something similar, what do you think?
    No, that is not the purpose of the post. (I am updating the OP to keep it all together)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I second adding "FAQ" to title.

After we collect couple more questions (and pollute thread with more off-topic comments), we could rewrite it.

(8.) Programming games and MMORPG
    Programming game is huge project (easily 10 man-years). more discussion in Writing a game engine thread. Especially read So you want to make your own MMORPG..
    Last edited by pmasiar; January 24th, 2008 at 11:20 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast