Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloading Snes9x?

Beans

Downloading Snes9x?

Okay, so I downloaded Snes9x off of this site.
    I clicked on "Linux x86 binaries" and when it downloaded, clicked the file there (snes9x-1.43-linus-x86.tar.gz) and clicked on the folder there (/snes9x-1.43/) and I don't really get the readme.txt file, so... I'm a complete idiot with this kind of stuff. I need help getting Snes9x open.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Re: Downloading Snes9x?

Its on the mirrors, just apt-get zsnes.

TW

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Put the file in your home directory, Tyler5794, open a terminal and enter
    Code:
    tar xvpf snes9x-1.43-linux-x86.tar.gz
    That's it. To start the emulator, open a terminal again and enter
    Code:
    cd snes9x-1.43
    ./snes9x
    Best to paste and copy my entries: your typing of the package name is a little off... Note that this is a command line version of the emulator. You'll need a frontend as well if you want a GUI.

BTW most people seem to prefer ZSNES to SNES9x - any particular reason for preferring SNES9X?

Edit@TwoWordz: the repository versions seem to be older ones, though, and you appear to be confusing ZSNES with SNES9x.
    Last edited by acoustibop; January 14th, 2008 at 02:54 AM.

Beans

Um, what do you mean, put the file in my home directory?
    I'm such an idiot today.

I've ver used ZSNES before, snes9x was the first one I tried.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you want a Super NES emulator, ZSNES is the one you want. Snes9x used to be a good one but ZSNES has surpassed it, in my view, plus configuring Snes9x seems to be very hit or miss in Linux in my experience.

Search for how to enable (and update after you do) the Universe repositories, then use Synaptic to search for and install ZSNES (or do sudo apt-get install zsnes).

Beans

Er. I just started using Linux. I'm a noob in this stuff. What are Universe repositories and Synaptic?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

What are Repositories?

Synaptic: a way to add and remove packages from your system. System->Administration->Synaptic Package Manager

Beans

Um, the Synaptic Package Manager isn't under Administration, and neither is Software Properties (for adding repositories).

Sorry for the slow responses.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

On mine it is; though Software Properties has changed the name to Software Sources. This is on plain (Gnome) Ubuntu by the way; if you're using Kubuntu things will be a bit different; just do some searches online to get an idea of what to use instead.

If you can't find Synaptic in plain Ubuntu, maybe it's not installed (though I am pretty sure it was by default when I installed it). Find a terminal (on mine, it's Applications->Accessories->Terminal, though if yours differs, you may have to look for the equivalent), and type sudo apt-get install synaptic (it will ask for your user password).

It's best if you read up on some of these basic administrative things to really get going in Ubuntu. You will have to do things like this again to install and run programs, and the more you understand, the easier it will be in the future. It's not difficult, but it does take a little bit of time to familiarize yourself with it.

Good luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ubuntu documentation is here, Tyler5794.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast