Thread: Need to reconfigure sound

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Need to reconfigure sound

I've got some wierd things happening with my sound on mythbuntu, it appears I have 2 sliders which control it, PCM and "Front". If both are left on full, then the sound quality will degrade and sound muffled on lots of action, Bass sound.

At first I thought it was a problem with the sound buffer, but the interesting thing though is If I turn either fully down, the sound will be mute, but if I turn PCM down to just 1, so it's barely on, and "Front" on full, it will result in flawless sound. However, the main volume control is PCM, so it just doesn't seem quite right having a sound volume adjust on my taskbar which appears to have the sound completely down.

The sound device is HDA Nvidia

Is there anyway I can reconfigure my sound to remain flawless but only use the main slider? Any help would be appreciated
    Last edited by Waistless; January 13th, 2008 at 02:47 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Need to reconfigure sound

you could try sshing to the machine or use a terminal and run a program called alsamixer. alsamixer can easily control your sound output. be sure to read the man page to see how it works. Basically, use left, right, up and down. and press ESC to exit. Also, don't let the "names" of the outputs fool you. try changing these things while you are listening to something.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Need to reconfigure sound

Ahhh thanks, I figured out what it was

When PCM is set above 74, the result is a DB Gain above 0, and it corrupts the sound. Strangely though all other output sliders are limited at a DB Gain of 0, so perhaps an oversight?

For now though, I guess my problem is fixed

edit: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ils/+bug/42043 This bug REALLY needs to be fixed.
    Last edited by Waistless; January 18th, 2008 at 01:36 PM.