Thread: [SOLVED] gettimeofday on Windows?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

[SOLVED] gettimeofday on Windows?

Hi all,

I'm doing some experimentation with time on a simple C program. I got the Linux version to work okay with the help of gettimeofday, localtime. But on windows, I found that the timeval structure exists in winsock2.h, which doesn't have a gettimeofday..

I searched around some, but I'm not familiar with programming resources for Windows. Can anyone help me out / point me in the right direction?

I essentially want to be able to tell the current system time in hours, minutes, seconds, and miliseconds.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: gettimeofday on Windows?

Only thing i can suggest is create an fsock to udp://localhost:13 to connect to the time server on your machine.
    Fluxbox, PHP, CLI, Donuts and Chocolate Milk. All i need to say.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How efficient would that me? I'd need to check the time many times per second at times.

Beans

I'm fairly certain windows has it's own way of doing this, unfortunately I'm not a Window programmer so I can't help. You might try a Windows-specific forum for people who can probably help more.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

The daytime service is NOT enabled on Windows by default. So I seriously doubt about the usefulness of that approach.

A good resource for the Win32 API is http://msdn.microsoft.com

And FWIW Google yields very relevant results when it comes to Windows equivalents of gettimeofday()...
    Not even tinfoil can save us now...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Here's how I did it in the end:

#include <windows.h>

SYSTEMTIME st;
    GetSystemTime(&st);

Then you can use st.wHour, st.wMinute, st.wSecond, and st.wMilliseconds to retrieve the values (it has days, months in it too but I don't need them).

Beans

Re: [SOLVED] gettimeofday on Windows?

Even though this thread was marked as solved, the solution provide was not proper (i mean not complete), so for benefit of other I would like to point to complete solution http://www.cpp-programming.net/c-tid...n-for-windows/