Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: KDE 4 Is Out

Beans

Re: KDE4 - looking good for open source

Quote Originally Posted by *John* View Post
    I can't believe so many people are having trouble understanding what's being said?
    I have to say, that interpretation didn't even occur to me, but I'm kicking myself now that you've mentioned it I'm guessing the other people who responded didn't think of it in those terms, either. Which is understandable, as many people on these forums have said almost exactly what Dixon said about KDE3.

Beans

I tried kde once when I started using linux. I appreciated all the power it gives to the user but I was uncomfortable for the following reasons:

1. Konqueror, while a very powerful file manager, was to much for me. I needed a simple one like thunar.

2. Kicker.

3. For me, it looked cluttered. I know some kde fans hate hearing that and will argure to the contrary. But to each his own. I never liked the arrangement of the menus and icons. I tried tweaking them to my liking but was not satisfied.

Now, after playing with the kde4 beta all of this is history for me. I will convert to kde4 once it becomes more stable and more devs port their applications to it.

The only thing I am not yet comfortable with is the new menu. But I guess this will not be an issue, as the main concept behind plasma is to be able to easily change such things by means of plasmoids. And it can be done via scripting languages like python. So, I guess plenty of alternative will pop up in the future.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by *John* View Post
    From what i've seen KDE4 is unfinished, and needs much more work before it becomes a fully usable release. Considering KDE3 isn't exactly lacking, why the rush to hit 4.0.0 at the expense of stability, speed and usability?
    But to be fair, KDE3 wasn't always at the 3.5.8 level. There was a time when it was KDE 3.0.0, and I'm sure many people were wondering why they don't just stick with KDE2 until KDE3 gets more mature. A brand new, complete makeover version will never become fully usable until they get it out there and it has time to mature.

The good thing about it is that they are not going to completely stop development on the KDE3 line, and everyone has a choice on whether to switch or not.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

"I can't believe so many people are having trouble understanding what's being said?"
    perhaps he should be clearer
    kde4 is less 'bloated' than kde3 (taking memory use as a gauge of bloat)
    kde3 is less 'bloated than gnome (taking memory use as a gauge of bloat)

either way hes talking crap
    gnome user "i dont like kde" ok
    GU:"i prefer the gnome interface, kde is cluttered" ok
    GU:"kde has a horrible interface" please be quite as people have different tastes
    IDIOT:"kde is a bloated piece of crap" please STFU as kde uses less resources than gnome and many people like it
    LINUS:"the gnome devs are nazis"

o wait that last quote just slips in whenever a gnome zealot pisses me off

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by capink View Post
    3. For me, it looked cluttered. I know some kde fans hate hearing that and will argure to the contrary. But to each his own. I never liked the arrangement of the menus and icons. I tried tweaking them to my liking but was not satisfied.
    The beauty of KDE is the ability to customize everything. I use kde and I typically have a very clean, uncluttered setup. But I have also seen some pretty messy ones too. So if you have the time to tinker with options you can really get KDE looking very steamlined.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have kde core instaled only for K3b and Amarok. I tried KDE , GNOME And XFCE and I use XFCE as its lightweight.

I'm waiting for KDE 4 so I can use some apps in XP.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Arrow Re: KDE4 - looking good for open source

Quote Originally Posted by TheOrangePeanut View Post
    I want to like KDE, I really do, but the naming scheme throws me off every time I give it a chance. I can't stand a K to be in front of every single application; it makes it hard to read. I guess I'll stick with Gnome until they started prefixing everything with a G, then I'll switch to XFCE :-p
    I don't even notice the naming scheme...it does not phase me one way or the other.
    Ive used KDE from my first Linux and i will continue to use it.
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I starded with KDE (Mandrake) and HATED it! Didn't ever wanna use it again. Then I started to use Gnome and I loved it, but after a while it started to feel boring. I like to customize my desktop and I was limited with Gnome. Then after 2-3 years I gave KDE another chance and since then I'm using it. I still don't know why I didn't like KDE the first time. Maybe it had to do with the fact that the distro didn't came with QT only apps which gave a wrong impression.

I too don't have a problem with the naming scheme, ok it could be better but seriously who cares.

Btw, anyone knows when the Kubuntu packages of KDE will be available? I don't want to wait for the next version of Kubuntu to use KDE4.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Today the dream becomes reality

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by Somenoob View Post
    Today the dream becomes reality