Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Virtualbox - Accessing system HD

Beans

Virtualbox - Accessing system HD

I am wondering if any one knows how or if it is possible to access your system hard drive from within a visualized OS when running Virtualbox. The virtual HD is great for system stuff but I really need to be able to access the files on my hard drive.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Virtualbox - Accessing system HD

You do it through creating shares in Samba while in Ubuntu: System/Administration/Shared Folers menu in Gnome. Then you use Network in Windows to access the shares, the drives, folders you have declared as shares.
    Last edited by fjgaude; January 11th, 2008 at 03:33 AM.
    Regards, frank, at http://yantrayoga.typepad.com/noname/
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

You don't need samba enabled or system folder sharing for Virtual OS to see your system drive. It's as simple as the screen shot posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linux user #196692 AMD x4 620 Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H 7gig DDR2 nVidia GT220
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
    You don't need samba enabled or system folder sharing for Virtual OS to see your system drive. It's as simple as the screen shot posted.
    Good stuff. I figured there was probably a easy way to do it and I just didn't know how. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

You do setup shares in Ubuntu? Yes/no.
    Homebuilt Lian-Li PC-Q33WB, Intel i7-4790K 4.6GHz, SSDs,32G RAM | Dell Laptop 13.3".
    Oracle VBox w/ WinXP/Win10 running Xara Designer, PaintShopPro, and InDesign CS.

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    You do setup shares in Ubuntu? Yes/no.
    I never have.

The files you set up to share in Virtual Box, will show up in Windows' Networking under "Entire Network\VirtualBox Shared Folders\" as documented in by the text tools in shared folder options, and section 4.4 of the help manual.
    Linux user #196692 AMD x4 620 Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H 7gig DDR2 nVidia GT220
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, man.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
    I never have.

The files you set up to share in Virtual Box, will show up in Windows' Networking under "Entire Network\VirtualBox Shared Folders\" as documented in by the text tools in shared folder options, and section 4.4 of the help manual.
    If I can chime in on this, I've got that done, but my windows XP program can see the files I want, but can't read them, i.e. I get a program error message saying something like "can't read data"...is this because it's a Windows file sitting on a Linux ext3 partition?....any thoughts? thanks!

Also, I'm the internet in the Virtual XP machine, but can't see my internal network, even when forcing the ip to be in range. This would be a BIG help!
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by theZoid View Post
    If I can chime in on this, I've got that done, but my windows XP program can see the files I want, but can't read them, i.e. I get a program error message saying something like "can't read data"...is this because it's a Windows file sitting on a Linux ext3 partition?....any thoughts? thanks!

Also, I'm the internet in the Virtual XP machine, but can't see my internal network, even when forcing the ip to be in range. This would be a BIG help!
    The only thing that might help is to be sure you have your Samba paasword in Ubuntu set:

Code:
    sudo smbpasswd -a yourloginname

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by fjgaude View Post
    The only thing that might help is to be sure you have your Samba paasword in Ubuntu set:

Code:
    sudo smbpasswd -a yourloginname
    Thanks Frank, I'll check that out. This is a proprietary tax program, and I don't want to keep my whole life imprisoned in a single .vbi file, but outside the 'system' so I can sync it with my ext HD.
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast