Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Virtualbox - Accessing system HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Virtualbox - Accessing system HD

Quote Originally Posted by disturbed1 View Post
    What directory are you attempting to share? Right click on that folder in Linux and check the permissions. USER need to have read and write permission. Since USER is running Virtual Box, these permissions are inherited.

USER is of course the user name of the Linux User currently logged in an running Virtual Box.

Also, there is a Linux group now called vboxusers. Make sure you are a member of that group. System -> Administration -> Users and Groups. Click on manage groups, find vboxusers, click properties, and make sure your name is checked as being in the group. You have to log out then back in for this to take effect.
    thanks disturbed1....I checking all that out now.....thanks! I'll 'port back for future generations....
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Disturbed.....I set my permissions for owner and user to read and write, same problem....however, I think the program itself might be stopping me because it sees the files as on a network, and I only paid for the standalone version. However, maybe not....Ill try to open a .doc file for something else and see what happens and report back...because I can't remember, but I think I had the same problem trying to open a .txt file with notepad a while back.

in the meantime I've been reading and writing to a usb drive to get the data files out of that .vbi file.
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

[SOLVED] Duh on me....don't throw anything at my avatar guys. All I had to do was map the shared linux folder containing all the data folders I needed in my XP Virtual Machine, at which time they showed up in explorer as drive Z. The I merely turned on sharing for that drive in the XP Virtual Machine, Tech support for my tax software helped, as the guy happened to a linux/VM user My tax program needed full control to use the ifles. Now everything is reading and writing back and forth through the 'virtual wall'.
    Last edited by theZoid; January 17th, 2008 at 06:45 AM.
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I need help on something related...
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=718060
    Thanks!
    ~Ocean~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123