Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install and configure Pekwm

Beans

Re: Howto: Install and configure Pekwm

Thanks for this guide, the installation went perfectly

It really seems like the perfect window manager for me (I love the screen edges) but I have a big problem with the panel behaviour : when I click on the panel, the window gets focused, but stays under the other maximised windows.

I tried all the panels out there (xfce, perlpanel, barpanel, bmpanel, tint, fbpanel, lxpanel...) but I have the same problem.

The only one that works is pypanel...but I have another problem : all the windows related with another window stay on the panel, even after being closed or minimised (ex: plugins config for audacious, search in synaptic, any application that goes into tray, etc). These windows disappear from the panel only after closing the main application.

It's very frustrating because I really love pekwm.

What panel/dock do you use with pekwm? Did you have the same problems?

Thanks for your help

Beans

If I use a panel, I use pypanel with Pekwm. The problems you encounter with it are well-known, and there isn't a workaround yet. It is fixed in the git version of Pekwm, though (See here under "Development"), which should be released as 0.1.7 'soon'.

I haven't experienced the problems with other panels you mentioned, but then I rarely use other panels. I'll try it out myself.

Btw, thanks for mentioning barpanel. I hadn't seen that one before.

Beans

Thanks for your answer.

I'll be waiting for the 0.17 release (and keep using pypanel in the meantime)

Beans
    Hidden!

Anyone else have problems with shading windows when using xcompmgr? After shading a window it leaves artifacts of the window on the desktop and it gets all glitchy
    and if you move the titlebar around it leaves a trail.
    It happens when using most themes but a few like elegant brit and blackwhite it works perfectly.

I have no problems using xcompmgr in fvwm openbox fluxbox or any other wm, only pek.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by urukrama View Post
    If I use a panel, I use pypanel with Pekwm. The problems you encounter with it are well-known, and there isn't a workaround yet. It is fixed in the git version of Pekwm, though (See here under "Development"), which should be released as 0.1.7 'soon'.

I haven't experienced the problems with other panels you mentioned, but then I rarely use other panels. I'll try it out myself.

Btw, thanks for mentioning barpanel. I hadn't seen that one before.
    I grabbed the git version and it still had the problem of windows not raising when clicking on them in the fbpanel taskbar, so I added a line to fbpanel's taskbar.c file (borrowed from the method that gets called when you right-click on the task icon and select "Raise", which does work) and that seems to have fixed it. This is nasty and hackish, but it makes me happy; now I can move on to messing with my PekWM configuration ...

I can post the change I made to taskbar.c if anyone's interested, although I'm not sure this is the appropriate spot for that sort of thing.
    "Candle? What candle? I don't see any candle, it's too damn dark in here!"
    Visit my author home page | Read about the exploits of Dennis the Rescue Vizsla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Brilliant guide but I can't actually load the session. When I select the PekWM session from GDM it complains that there isn't a "Exec" line and it reverts to the failsafe xterm session, any ideas what could be up?

Cheers.

Edit: Solved the problem, after some google-fu.

Code:
    [Desktop Entry]
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Name=PekWM
    Comment=Use PekWM as your window manager
    Exec=pekwm
    TryExec=pekwm
    # no icon yet, only the top three are currently used
    Icon=
    Type=Application
    Another question now... any idea how I can get the XFCE quit dialog to show? I.e. is there a command I can run from the menu for it?
    Last edited by Sammm_; June 17th, 2008 at 09:07 PM.

Beans

how to set up normal window behaviour in pekwm ? thanks ! cheers !

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by canistra View Post
    how to set up normal window behaviour in pekwm ? thanks ! cheers !
    I'm not sure what you consider normal, but Urukrama has a very helpful blog post that I used as the basis for my pekwm settings. That might help you out.
    "Candle? What candle? I don't see any candle, it's too damn dark in here!"
    Visit my author home page | Read about the exploits of Dennis the Rescue Vizsla

Beans

when I say normal , I mean a behaviour like in xfce or other normal WM // DE

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jviscosi View Post
    I grabbed the git version and it still had the problem of windows not raising when clicking on them in the fbpanel taskbar, so I added a line to fbpanel's taskbar.c file (borrowed from the method that gets called when you right-click on the task icon and select "Raise", which does work) and that seems to have fixed it. This is nasty and hackish, but it makes me happy; now I can move on to messing with my PekWM configuration ...

I can post the change I made to taskbar.c if anyone's interested, although I'm not sure this is the appropriate spot for that sort of thing.
    Same problem here. Would be really nice if you could post your changes here. You should commit your changes or send a patch to the developers.

Thank you in advance,
    lkajdflkjaoeif

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast