Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Howto: Install and configure Pekwm

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Howto: Install and configure Pekwm

Quote Originally Posted by lkajdflkjaoeif View Post
    Same problem here. Would be really nice if you could post your changes here. You should commit your changes or send a patch to the developers.

Thank you in advance,
    lkajdflkjaoeif
    Unfortunately I've found that it still doesn't work perfectly ... if the icon you're clicking on is the only window on another desktop, it will minimize/restore the window on the other desktop rather than taking you to that desktop and focusing the window. I should fix that, but I've drifted back to OpenBox/Fluxbox due to some other niggling issues with PekWM (flaky behavior from some KDE applications, progress dialogs that get stuck and sticky across all desktops, etc.) I'll probably try PekWM again after a few more releases because I did really like it.

When I get home, I'll post the change I made to fbpanel. Maybe someone can take that and use it to fix the only-window-on-another-desktop issue.
    "Candle? What candle? I don't see any candle, it's too damn dark in here!"
    Visit my author home page | Read about the exploits of Dennis the Rescue Vizsla

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Okay, here's the change I made to the fbpanel 4.12 source code that made it work better with PekWM. It's still not perfect but I could live with it. (I must qualify this code by saying that while I am a programmer, I'm not a C programmer, nor am I a programmer of X or window managers.)

This is in file plugins/taskbar.c. The line I added is in bold just above DBG("XRaiseWindow %x\n", tk->win);

Code:
    static void
    tk_raise_window( task *tk, guint32 time )
    {
        if (tk->desktop != -1 && tk->desktop != tk->tb->cur_desk){
            Xclimsg(GDK_ROOT_WINDOW(), a_NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP, tk->desktop, 0, 0, 0, 0);
            XSync (gdk_display, False);
        }
        if(use_net_active) {
            Xclimsg(tk->win, a_NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW, 2, time, 0, 0, 0);
        }
        else {
            XRaiseWindow (GDK_DISPLAY(), tk->win);
            XSetInputFocus (GDK_DISPLAY(), tk->win, RevertToNone, CurrentTime);
        }
        XMapRaised(GDK_DISPLAY(), tk->win);

DBG("XRaiseWindow %x\n", tk->win);
    }

Beans

Hello jviscosi,

sorry for the delayed response. I was quite busy the previous days. Today I've occupied myself with it again and spoke with some developers in #pekwm on Freenode about it. shared has found a solution for the problem. It seems to be a problem with PekWM. On page two of this thread urukrama has said that the bug has already been fixed in the Git version but the problem still persists in the most current version. Here is how to fix the raise issues in fbpanel; You need to add by add raise(); before giveInputFocus(); to pekwm/src/Frame.cc on line #2055. Note that this refers to the most current Git snapshot. To get the source, run GIT_SSL_NO_VERIFY=true git clone https://projects.pekdon.net/git/pekwm.git. GIT_SSL_NO_VERIFY=true is necessary. Otherwise you might get messages like:
    Code:
    Cannot get remote repository information.
    Perhaps git-update-server-info needs to be run there?
    By the way, in the latest snapshot there are some new workspace features such as WorkspacesPerRow (something like viewports but better), WorkspaceNames (you can now name your workspaces) and ShowWorkspaceIndicator (when moving to an other workspace, an indicator will show you all other workspaces and highlight the current one; it is similar to Compiz' indicator in GNOME).

Good luck.

Best regards,
    lkajdflkjaoeif

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hello jviscosi,

sorry for the delayed response. I was quite busy the previous days. Today I've occupied myself with it again and spoke with some developers in #pekwm on Freenode about it. shared has found a solution for the problem. It seems to be a problem with PekWM.
    Oh, so it's not an fbpanel issue! Cool, thanks for finding out this information! I'm actually back on PekWM because I liked it so much, I decided to tolerate the fbpanel issue and use different applications that play more nicely with it. I made several attempts to fix fbpanel the rest of the way but wasn't successful, so I will make this source change and see how it works.
    Last edited by jviscosi; July 6th, 2008 at 11:00 PM.

Beans

Hi there, i've got a question related pekwm, I use bmpanel, and vlc to watch videos, but when i Fullscreen the video, it stays below the panel, and i need everytime to close the bmpanel when I want to watch videos, how can i fix this ? thx in advance ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by canistra View Post
    Hi there, i've got a question related pekwm, I use bmpanel, and vlc to watch videos, but when i Fullscreen the video, it stays below the panel, and i need everytime to close the bmpanel when I want to watch videos, how can i fix this ? thx in advance ...
    You need to change the autoproperties for the BMPanel. Here are the settings for my fbpanel (put them into ~/.pekwm/autoproperties):

Property = "panel,fbpanel" {
    applyon = "start new reload";
    skip = "menus focustoggle";
    sticky = "true"; titlebar = "false"
    border = "false"; layer = "normal"
    }
    Last edited by lkajdflkjaoeif; July 8th, 2008 at 04:57 PM.

Beans

You need to change the autoproperties for the bmpanel. Here are the settings for my fbpanel (put them into ~/.pekwm/autoproperties):
    that didn't really helped

Beans

that didn't really helped
    It does but you have to modify it for the BMPanel. I am using fbpanel so that I cannot tell you how to do it with BMPanel, sorry. I guess, you just have to replace "fbpanel" by "bmpanel" but I do not know whether it works.

Beans

It does but you have to modify it for the BMPanel. I am using fbpanel so that I cannot tell you how to do it with BMPanel, sorry. I guess, you just have to replace "fbpanel" by "bmpanel" but I do not know whether it works.
    well of course I replaced it, and it didn't work

This problem remains open, but I'll give u another one when i use conky it is shown in task list in my bmpanel, how to fix that ?

Beans

well of course I replaced it, and it didn't work

This problem remains open, but I'll give u another one when i use conky it is shown in task list in my bmpanel, how to fix that ?
    I have set this in my .conkyrc:
    own_window yes
    own_window_type override
    own_window_transparent yes
    own_window_colour black
    own_window_hints undecorated,skip_pager,skip_taskbar

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast