Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GraphPad Prism alternative?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

GraphPad Prism alternative?

I'm currently looking for a substitute for GraphPad Prism software(Windows/MAC) in linux for a friend that wants to use linux in her home/work computer, I wonder if anyone out there knows about it, or has worked with similar software in the past.

From their website:
    "GraphPad Prism is a powerful combination of basic biostatistics, curve fitting and scientific graphing in one comprehensive program. More than 100,000 scientists in over 100 countries rely on Prism to analyze, graph and present their scientific data."

The software is different from similar Office suits for Graphs because it has specific biochemistry uses.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: GraphPad Prism alternative?

Did you try GNUplot or SCILAB yet??
    Don't know if they work for you but they work for me fine in signal processing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'll have a look at those and post my opinion here, then. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I guess it depends on how much work with statistics your friend does. I recommend R because is free and it's a far more powerful (and flexible) program than Prism. I used Prism for many years but then found R.

The downside is that the learning curve for R is rather steep. At any rate, it's worth examining as an option.

Good luck!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks for the tip. Can you give me a link to that one? R is too short to search for it...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Nevermind, I found it at http://www.r-project.org/
    I'll look into it tomorrow.
    GNUplot and Scilab won't be much useful but look interesting for other areas.

Cheers

Beans

I use GraphPad as the company standard (pharmaceutical industry) when I'm at work.

I use LabPlot at home. Xdrawchem in place of ChemDraw.

Both can be found in the ubuntu repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hi!

I'm in the exact situation here. My nerd friend wanted Linux on her computer but now she needs something similar to GraphPad Prism. She is into Neuroscience in case it matters. So what is the best option so far?

Cheers!
    Last edited by lunatico; August 21st, 2008 at 06:40 PM. Reason: more detail...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well I'm a biologist/biochemist doing his phd in the field of ecotoxicology and so far R has fulfilled all my needs (statistics, plotting, making high quality graphs).
    You just have to put in some effort but once you've got the hang of it, it's awesome!
    And you can use it anywhere by which I mean: no expensive licensing, available for any platform...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hey! Just a heads-up on this. My friend is a neuroscientist and I'm a computer scientist so when I asked her what she needed this for she started explaining me and my brain went BSOD as in: windows blue screen...
    So... she wanted GraphPad Prism, well GraphPad Prism she gets...
    Installed Wine... downloaded GraphPad windows version and installed it. It work like a charm and she was happy.
    Of course this is not an open source software, licensing issues and all that... but that is a different story...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast