Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GraphPad Prism alternative?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: GraphPad Prism alternative?

Hi which version of Prism worked with Wine? I've heard some versions install fine but then have some memory problems when you actually try to create a graph and you can't actually do anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Hello
    I think I have good news to all GraphPad enthusiasts missing it on Ubuntu.
    I was checking different versions of wine, and its setups but finally it turned out that application called PlayOnLinux (http://www.playonlinux.com/en/) was the solution. It was enough to install GraphPad (5.03) trough it by choosing option "install application not mentioned on the list" and next just keep clicking "next" button. When POL asked for environment name I just wrote "windows" and when it asked to setup wine, I just left it as it was by default. Amazingly after that GraphPad works as well as under windows. I can save and open documents and export plots or graphs to all supported graphical formats. I was able to do nonlinear fit to my data, transform them, do basic statistics on columns, anova, copy table of results to layout, use greek symbols in axes description and export final graph to pdf and jpg. Everything I have tried until now works perfectly! I am looking forward to see if it will work for others. I know R is cool, but not everyone has time to get know it and for many purposes GraphPad is more than enough. My wine version is 1.1.25.
    best regards
    chris
    Last edited by dunkeld; January 17th, 2010 at 06:51 PM.

Beans

Re: GraphPad Prism 5 under wine

@Dunkeld,

Thanks for the information. I am a graphpad prism5 user and need to work under windows at the job. This is one of the few windows applications that push me to stick on windows. With wine I can run Photoshop and a few others under Ubuntu. Because I have not tried Prism5 under wine (I thought it would be impossible yet), I'm very curious about the PlayOnLinux thing. Can you explain why it is needed? I thought that just installing wine then run your application would do it. Please post more details as it seems that you need to create scripts, if-INW. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: GraphPad Prism 5 under wine

Quote Originally Posted by Maxei View Post
    @Dunkeld,

Thanks for the information. I am a graphpad prism5 user and need to work under windows at the job. This is one of the few windows applications that push me to stick on windows. With wine I can run Photoshop and a few others under Ubuntu. Because I have not tried Prism5 under wine (I thought it would be impossible yet), I'm very curious about the PlayOnLinux thing. Can you explain why it is needed? I thought that just installing wine then run your application would do it. Please post more details as it seems that you need to create scripts, if-INW. Thanks.
    try wine first... http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...estingId=40686 (seems to be some problems with creating new files, but that can be related to older wine)

be sure to use the latest wine!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Yes, with new wine it works even without PlayOnLinux. There are some minor issues with exporting graphs to pictures but the rest works perfectly and I just use the taking screen-shots applet. To get high quality picture I just increase the view of graph as much as I can and use the option allowing to define the area of the shot. Copy it to clipboard and paste in Gimp to save it next in any format I wish.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: GraphPad Prism alternative?

I've stumbled upon SciDAVis while browsing the repositories and it seems to be a reasonable alternative. Lacks some features of Prism, but does most things I needed Prism for.

http://scidavis.sourceforge.net/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12