Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boo: The best programming language !

emperon is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Boo: The best programming language !

Hello, I 've been programming for many years and I was in the search of the best programming language.

I tried: C, C++, Java, C# , Php , Python, Ruby, lisp. Yet I really found the best language for my needs. Sure there is right tool for right job but see it yourself:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...tkqdJfBX6te6Gg
    Last edited by emperon; January 8th, 2008 at 07:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Boo: The best programming language !

cool

Beans

This will probably cause a lot of discussions... I can see it closed

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by emperon View Post
    Hello, I 've been programming for many years and I was in the search of the best programming language.

I tried: C, C++, Java, C# , Php , Python, Ruby, lisp. Yet I really found the best language for my needs. Sure there is right tool for right job but see it yourself:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=re...tkqdJfBX6te6Gg
    "best programming language" searches are not what experienced programmers do. Each language has different areas in which it excels and often, programming languages overlap in their areas.

You never really stated what your needs were, which would make the post make more sense. Otherwise, it is dangerously close to inciting useless discussions.

What makes this language useful?
    In what areas is it useful?
    How cross platform is it, and are there enough libraries to make it useful?

Beans
    Hidden!

In my opinion..there is no such thing as a **best programming language**..each language has it's own purpose and it's own goal..you can expect to build a website using C++ and you expect to build a program with PHP...every programming language is useful..and was designed for something.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kadrus View Post
    In my opinion..there is no such thing as a **best programming language**..each language has it's own purpose and it's own goal..you can expect to build a website using C++ and you expect to build a program with PHP...every programming language is useful..and was designed for something.
    +1 except for the last bit.

Not every programming language is useful Malbolge was designed to be impossible to use. It took two years after its release for a "hello world" program to be written, and that was not the result of a human programmer, but a program in Lisp wrote it.

Beans

It seems that Boo is made for .NET programming, not really what Linux users generally do.

It is C# with Python syntax for .NET, interesting, and improvement perhaps, but not what the average Linux user wants.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

and if i want Python for .NET, I'll use IronPython instead

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pmasiar View Post
    and if i want Python for .NET, I'll use IronPython instead
    +1

Boo seems to only offer static typing to us. Not really what we are looking for...

emperon is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

What makes this language useful?
    Boo is a very powerful language with very powerful features. It's syntax looks like python but it implemented best features of Python , C# and Ruby

Unlike python Boo is a static typed language but also supports optional duck typing. Boo also supports macros which leads to inventing your own keywords and language constructs. Finally boo is running on CLR (mono) which brings entire .net framework on your command. Check out the language features. You will be impressed (http://boo.codehaus.org/

In what areas is it useful?
    With Boo you can do almost everything. You can write an operating system or you can write high level web applications with asp.net. You can go 3D or build desktop applications with GTK#

How cross platform is it, and are there enough libraries to make it useful?
    It works on Windows , Linux , MacOS, Solaris. Since it is based on mono/.net portability is not a problem for boo. All .net libraries can be used with boo seamlessly (in a cross platform manner)
    Last edited by emperon; January 8th, 2008 at 09:50 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast