Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: New Vista MCE Remote not working...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Beans
    6

    Exclamation New Vista MCE Remote not working...

    I recently purchased this remote (http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/Produ...oductID=583848) and it doesn't work in MythBuntu.

    It has the following details :

    --- lsusb ---
    ID 0471:060d Philips

    --- dmesg ---
    lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, at major 61 lirc_mceusb2: Philips eHome USB IR Transciever and Microsoft MCE 2005 RemoteControl driver for LIRC $Revision: 1.33 $

    Looking in the latest lirc_mceusb2.c file it seems that the ID 0471 is fine and assigned to Philips but there is only the suffix of 0x0815 assigned to it which is for the older MCE 2005 receiver.

    Can one of the developers get this passed downstream to be added please as this remote is the replacement to the older RC6 MCE 2005 remote.

    I tested the remote using the older MCE 2005 receiver and it works fine so it is only the new receiver which needs to be defined.

    Thanks,

    Nigel.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Beans
    9
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

    Re: New Vista MCE Remote not working...

    I had a similar problem with my particular Vista MCE remote (made by Topspeed).

    I downloaded the latest version of LIRC from their webpage and compiled it and installed it myself. It puts its kernel modules into /lib/modules/2.6...../misc. The stock kernel modules for LIRC are in /lib/modules/2.6..../ubuntu/media/lirc. I moved the stock modules out of that directory to avoid any duplicated module problems, then ran depmod/modprobe and my remote worked fine.

    It's kind of frustrating that Ubuntu is still using an old version of LIRC. My particular remote is included in LIRC 0.8.3 and was in SVN for months prior to that release (and prior to 8.04 coming out) but I guess Ubuntu hasn't updated the source files used for their "0.8.3pre" version in a while.
    Last edited by anand; July 13th, 2008 at 11:14 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Beans
    2,983
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: New Vista MCE Remote not working...

    Quote Originally Posted by anand View Post
    I had a similar problem with my particular Vista MCE remote (made by Topspeed).

    I downloaded the latest version of LIRC from their webpage and compiled it and installed it myself. It puts its kernel modules into /lib/modules/2.6...../misc. The stock kernel modules for LIRC are in /lib/modules/2.6..../ubuntu/media/lirc. I moved the stock modules out of that directory to avoid any duplicated module problems, then ran depmod/modprobe and my remote worked fine.

    It's kind of frustrating that Ubuntu is still using an old version of LIRC. My particular remote is included in LIRC 0.8.3 and was in SVN for months prior to that release (and prior to 8.04 coming out) but I guess Ubuntu hasn't updated the source files used for their "0.8.3pre" version in a while.
    The "0.8.3preX" release was up to date as per the last time one of these snapshots was made from SVN.

    The "proper" way to add support for your remote is to grab lirc-modules-source, and patch the file in /usr/src. Run a dkms build, dkms install and you will have updated kernel modules that automatically run when a new kernel is installed.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •