Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Programming Books Recommendations

Beans

Re: Programming Books Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by jespdj View Post
    Head First Java is a very popular book, there are more books in the Head First series, for example Head First Design Patterns.
    Head First is a good book!!! I recommend it
    [Arch + KDE]

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kaens View Post
    Applied Cryptography
    for those who have read cryptonomicon.
    I notice a redonkulously big compilation of that and two other Schneier books. I wonder how it can be four inches thick. Are the pages bleepin' cardboard or some ultra-crude paper? Anybody seen a copy? How's the paper and binding quality?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by darsu View Post
    I notice a redonkulously big compilation of that and two other Schneier books. I wonder how it can be four inches thick. Are the pages bleepin' cardboard or some ultra-crude paper? Anybody seen a copy? How's the paper and binding quality?
    I've got a copy, the print is huge. The binding is fine (although it is softcover), the paper is pretty thick.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by kaens View Post
    I've got a copy, the print is huge. The binding is fine (although it is softcover), the paper is pretty thick.
    If the paper is soft as well as thick then it makes it mighty useful...

(Visions of Cohen the barbarian from the Terry Pratchett discworld books swim through my head)...

On the subject of books that aren't about programming but should be read...

The Mythical Man Month by Fred Brooks - It's about why Software engineering projects fail... Or at least why managers can't manage them the way they think they should be able to. One of the big points is that adding Software Engineers to a late project will only make it later.

Z.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by Zwack View Post

The Mythical Man Month by Fred Brooks - It's about why Software engineering projects fail... Or at least why managers can't manage them the way they think they should be able to. One of the big points is that adding Software Engineers to a late project will only make it later.

Z.
    Yeah, I found a copy of that at a Goodwill for a dollar! It's a great read and depressingly still relevant.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Learning Ruby from O'Reilly is very good - it's quite thin, but when you consider that Ruby itself is a very condensed language it works well. Some parts can be skipped if you're a proficient programmer, but it does introduce you to Ruby's syntax, some OO concepts and how Ruby handles loops/flow control/hashes and data types.

Ruby Cookbook is another O'Reilly one. As LaRoza said, most (not all!) of the O'Reilly books are decent. The Cookbook is pretty much a resource for code-snippets and for system admin tasks in Ruby, which is what makes it so useful. It's actually sitting on my desk right now - the problem/solution/discussion format works very well for what it is intended to be. Code snippets are generally basic, but cover alternate solutions and frankly that's all you need to build on and integrate into your own scripts.

I've also got Learning Python & Programming Python waiting in the wings, but I've only read reviews and flicked through them briefly.

Most of the Apress books are pretty decent too, though I wasn't a fan of the "Ruby for System Administration" title they pushed out.

Beans

Linux Programming by Example, by Kurt Wall
    Copyright © 2000 by Que® Corporation
    International Standard Book Number: 0-7897-2215-1

Synopsis: Introduces programmers familiar with C to the GNU/Linux programming environment. I consider this book, or something similar to it, essential to developing on the GNU/Linux platform. Not to be confused with another, newer book titled Linux Programming by Example: The Fundamentals which I have not yet been able to peruse.

The Art of UNIX Programming, by Eric Steven Raymond
    Copyright © 2004 by Pearson Education, Inc.
    International Standard Book Number: 0-13-142901-9

Synopsis: The Art of UNIX Programming covers the essential paradigms of the UNIX programming model, its evolution and incorporatiion into other operating systems, and its philosophy. It's goal is not to teach programming as much as the ideas behind how programming has been done.

The C Programming Language, 2nd Ed.
    by Brian W. Kernighan and Dennis M. Ritchie
    Copyright © 1988 Prentice Hall
    International Standard Book Number: 0-13-110370-9

Synopsis: Although an aging text, it remains canonical to many programmers around the world. There are very few that could not benefit from this book.

Professional Assembly Language, by Richard Blum
    Copyright © 2005 by Wiley Publishing, Inc.
    International Standard Book Number: 0-7645-7901-0

Synopsis: I consider this text optional. However, in my experience, I have not seen a better treatment of GNU assembler. Most beneficial to a programming pedant who, like myself, wants to get as close to the hardware as possible.

Programmer's Guide to nCurses, by Dan Gookin
    Copyright © 2007 by Wiley Publishing, Inc.
    International Standard Book Number: 978-0-470-10759-1

Synopsis: Excellent reference for programmer's familiar with C who wish to write advanced character-cell user interfaces.

Practical C Programming, 3rd Edition, by Steve Oualline
    Copyright © 1997 O'Reilly Media, Inc.
    International Standard Book Number: 1-5659-2306-5

Synopsis: An indispensable guide to C programming with easy-to-use charts, tables, and look-up cheats.

Beginning C: From Novice to Professional, 4th Ed., by Ivor Horton
    Copyright © 2006 by Ivor Horton
    International Standard Book Number: 1-59059-735-4

Synopsis: This is the ideal beginner's book to programming with C. It starts with the simplest concepts, leading the reader incrementally into more advanced topics. Combining this book with The C Programming Language, 2nd Ed. would create the perfect programming starter pack.

Sam's Advanced C, by Peter D. Hipson
    Copyright © 1992 Sam's Publishing
    International Standard Book Number: 0-672-30168-7

Synopsis: Another text covering topics of various skill levels in the C programming language. Despite its title, it is not my opinion that this is more "advanced" then other texts. This book was not my favourite, but I included it anyway since it does effectively provide an alternative point-of-view to programming with C. I wouldn't recommend getting this before any of the others I've mentioned (indeed, if you can even find a copy).
    Last edited by k2t0f12d; February 28th, 2008 at 03:32 PM.
    "A fool works hard to earn his paycheck, but a wise man works hard so he doesn't need one."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Beans

Algorithms in C by Robert Sedgewick is a pretty good intro and intermediate level book on algorithms.

For Java, I would recommend Core Java Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 from Sun's Press.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

A few Linux books I have so far:

• The Linux Programmer's Toolbox, by John Fusco
    • Linux Programming by Example: The Fundamentals, by Arnold Robbins
    • Beginning Linux Programming, by Neil Matthew & Richard Stones
    • Foundations of GTK+ Development, by Andrew Krause
    • Etc...

Link to more details: http://www.igor-delovski.iz.hr/forum...opic.php?t=325

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast