Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google's PageRank and changing websites

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Google's PageRank and changing websites

Quote Originally Posted by PartisanEntity View Post
    Google offers a unique code snippet that a webmaster must add to pages he/she would like indexed. This code snippet should be maintained.
    This code is to verify that you're the site owner, when you submit a sitemap.
    Google indexes pages by urls found in the sitemap, or by links from other pages.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    This code is to verify that you're the site owner, when you submit a sitemap.
    Google indexes pages by urls found in the sitemap, or by links from other pages.
    I see, I've never heard about that, nor can I find on the Google website. Would it theoretically speaking just be a matter of copy-pasting such a piece of code?

I doubt those friends of mine used this for their site. As I understand it it isn't even really necessary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

And another thing - PageRank is 10 years old. After publishing some initial (e.g. this one) papers Google went commercial. I think that nobody outside the company know what algorithm they are using now...
    Last edited by boban; January 7th, 2008 at 11:36 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar mistakes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Ebuntor View Post
    I see, I've never heard about that, nor can I find on the Google website. Would it theoretically speaking just be a matter of copy-pasting such a piece of code?

I doubt those friends of mine used this for their site. As I understand it it isn't even really necessary.
    http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=40318

when you want to use Google Webmaster Tools (such as submitting a sitemap), google gives you a unique code that you paste in the home page of the site.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by koenn View Post
    http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=40318

when you want to use Google Webmaster Tools (such as submitting a sitemap), google gives you a unique code that you paste in the home page of the site.
    Great, thank you.

I've got a much clearer picture of all the ranking and indexing stuff. Thanks everyone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12