Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: MS Paint

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: MS Paint

mspaint should be easy to get going in wine I would have thought. Although really as far as windows apps that are simple - mspaint is awful. It's got awful image quality & supports 0.01% of filetypes.

It has almost no options for saving filetypes and if you rely on mspaint to save images destined for the web, well its your bandwidth..

I would suggest looking through the ubuntu repositories for some command-line image converstion tools. Should be easy enough to create a icon on the desktop which you can drag/drop & convert files.

I would be happy to help if you would like to do that.
    Edit: Check the Netpbm package.
    Last edited by weblordpepe; July 26th, 2008 at 06:05 PM.
    Brown doesn't suck. And neither does wood. Download Woody. A Metacity theme.
    Note: the rm command deletes stuff! Don't be tricked into running malicious scripts. If in doubt, ask!!

Beans

I only use MS Paint for two features that are not well documented. If these features exist in GIMP/KolourPaint/gPaint/MtPaint, then they are not well documented either.

1) The ability to resize the brush to any size.
    2) The ability to replace only one color with another color without harming the other colors.

Beans
    Hidden!

C'mon guys, are you kidding? Is this a joke?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drozel View Post
    If these features exist in GIMP/KolourPaint/gPaint/MtPaint, then they are not well documented either.
    1) The ability to resize the brush to any size.
    2) The ability to replace only one color with another color without harming the other colors.
    No amount of documenting can help if users refuse to read docs.
    http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/handb..._03.html#SEC21
    http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/handb..._03.html#SEC34
    http://mtpaint.sourceforge.net/handb..._03.html#SEC54

Beans

Well, thanks, I could not find documentation online and it failed to install. Now to see if y'all have a forum so I don't drag this topic off topic too much.

Beans

The thing I like about Paint is canvas resizing by dragging a corner. It's easy and intuitive for everyone. Every alternative I've seen has a dialog box where you enter the dimensions in pixels/inches of how big you want the canvas to be.

I find it hard to believe that MS are the only ones who have figured out how to make a program do that. I'm going to devote my next holidays to making a real alternative to Paint dammit.

Beans

you can download mspaint from Microsoft at http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...us/paintnt.exe

rune wine paintnt.exe , it will extract the needed files then just put them in a folder and run wine MSPAINT.exe and there you go. I just did this tonight and it works perfectly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

fyi, Katayama Hirofumi MZ is working on getting a free software clone of mspaint into Wine, so hopefully sometime soon there will be a version automatically included with Wine.

Beans

Beans

I felt the same way, because the simplicity of ms paint makes image editing so easy. I bought an Asus eee900, and with the Xandros distro there came a very similar painting program with it. It's called Kolourpaint (Kpaint) and it's possible to install it through Synaptics in Ubuntu=) Just do a search through the packages and there it is

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast