Thread: MS Paint

Hybrid View

Beans

MS Paint

I desperately need MS Paint on my PC (not any alternatives; it HAS to be MS Paint). Once this is done, my life will be complete.

Code:
    zarathu@w00w00:~$ wine '/home/zarathu/Desktop/mspaint.exe' 
    err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"Z:\\home\\zarathu\\Desktop\\mspaint.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"Z:\\home\\zarathu\\Desktop\\mspaint.exe" failed, status c0000135
    zarathu@w00w00:~$
    How can I get Wine to quit QQ'ing over this and start the damn program?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: MS Paint

Well, you can find the .dll from the first error here: http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dl...s.shtml?mfc42u
    If I remember right, you can put it in the Windows folder of your Wine install or the folder you're trying to run Paint in. I can't remember if that's exactly right, though.

Still, that might fix your first problem, maybe even your second. Or maybe neither one.

Your insistance on MSPaint is a little surprising. I know from another thread you wrote that you have tried many different alternatives, but I will suggest one more: MtPaint. It's quit nice (if that kind of thing is your idea of nice )

Also, if you are doing pixel art, you might consider checking out this turorial. It is a handy guide to setting up GIMP for working with pixel art. I can vouch for its effectiveness(see: my avatar), escpecially if you have a Wacom-type tablet.

I hope this helps one way or another.
    Last edited by DirtDawg; January 7th, 2008 at 02:11 AM. Reason: For the Season.

Beans

you can do better then MS paint yah know...

its far from a professional image app
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyRabbiera View Post
    you can do better then MS paint yah know...

its far from a professional image app
    But for pixel art, it's considered the app by some (by "some" I mean "not me").

Also, concerning the OP, have you tried using "winecfg" to switch between Windows XP, Windows 2000, or even NT? Sometimes that works.
    Last edited by DirtDawg; January 7th, 2008 at 02:41 AM. Reason: There is no Windows 200

Beans

No, I'm not doing pixel art, and I don't need anything more professional than Photoshop, which is what I currently use when I need image editing that doesn't suck. I do need paint, though.

DirtDawg, thank you for the link...I should have gotten it on my own and tried it before posting the thread, really. RTFM, Nick.

Anyway, I had to put it in my \WINDOWS\system folder. :]

Beans
    Distro

Glad I could help.

Beans

So did you get ms paint to work on Ubuntu?
    I really need it too, because there are no alternatives for it.
    I specifically need the ability to compress JPEGs size.
    (Ex. a digital photo of about 3MB, just by Save as...>Replace is downsized from 0.5 to 1MB depending on the photo content, and for webmasters this is great).
    So far none of the Linux alternatives (mtpaint, gnupaint, kolourpaint)can't do this. And it's the only reason I still dual boot.

Help please...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by silfiriel View Post
    So did you get ms paint to work on Ubuntu?
    I really need it too, because there are no alternatives for it.
    I specifically need the ability to compress JPEGs size.
    (Ex. a digital photo of about 3MB, just by Save as...>Replace is downsized from 0.5 to 1MB depending on the photo content, and for webmasters this is great).
    So far none of the Linux alternatives (mtpaint, gnupaint, kolourpaint)can't do this. And it's the only reason I still dual boot.

Help please...
    If you're doing web work (with 3MB jpgs?!), use The Gimp that comes with Ubuntu by default in Applications>Graphics>Gimp.

The simplest method of reducing file size is to open the .jpg in question, then File>SaveAs..., and adjust the "quality" slider. You want to find a balance between quality and size. 85% or so usually gets pretty good results.

The Gimp is a very powerful tool for web graphics that can also be as simple as you would like. There are several other ways to reduce file sizes than simply reducing the quality. If you feel inclined, try looking for Gimp web graphics tutorials with your favorite search engine. I bet you find plenty to read.

Beans

I know Gimp can reduce the size of JPEG with the quality slider, but a JPEG re-saved with Paint that's been downsized from 3MB to 500KB looks pretty much the same, the quality loss is unnoticeable with bare eye. But when Gimp does this the JPEG looks horrible...
    Any way I found a solution, XnView under Wine (not the native linux version, does what Paint does, in the same way...)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I got it to work when putting that one .dll into system32 but mspaint will only open .bmp files, which I will be trying to get working with others
    $desktop.info = "Desktop Triple Boot
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron / Windows XP Home / Windows XP Pro";
    $laptop.info = "Laptop Dell Latitude D505 Ubuntu Hardy 8.04";