Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MS office in Ubuntu

Beans

MS office in Ubuntu

Hey guys!!!

I recently shifted to Ubuntu and I'm finding a little problem with the office programs.
    Still in my office people use Microsoft Office and I'm the only one using open Office.

Now I'm very much attached to Ubuntu and I don't want to shift from Ubuntu. My friend suggested that by using a software called "wine" I can run .exe files in Ubuntu.

Can I install Microsft office through wine?

Else is there any other way to get MS -Office in Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: MS office in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rathish.arumugam View Post
    Hey guys!!!

I recently shifted to Ubuntu and I'm finding a little problem with the office programs.
    Still in my office people use Microsoft Office and I'm the only one using open Office.

Now I'm very much attached to Ubuntu and I don't want to shift from Ubuntu. My friend suggested that by using a software called "wine" I can run .exe files in Ubuntu.

Can I install Microsft office through wine?

Else is there any other way to get MS -Office in Ubuntu?
    I run office 2007 in wine. I use a commercial version of wine though called "crossover-linux". If you don't mind spending a couple of bucks I highly recommend it. It pretty much does everything for you. Outlook even works with the new version.

Beans

You could use wine but the proprietary software runs its best in its native environment.

Alot of people use wine or similiar or Virtualisation.

try www.virtualbox.org if you want to run it natively.

Or dual boot
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Hello and Welcome to the forums,

You can use the MS Office in the browser by logging into your Hotmail account. It'll let you create and edit documents within the browser.
    Cheers & Beers, uRock
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Office versions 2007 and older work well with Wine but as has been pointed out Codeweavers Crossover makes installing Windows programs much easier. I have personally run Office 97 and Office 2003 (and a number of other rather old Windows programs) using Crossover and find that Word and Excel perform better than their counterparts in OpenOffice or LibreOffice. I have not tried to use Access so I can't say how well it works. I have limited experience with Windows in a virtual memory environment but when I tried it a saw a marked degradation in performance compared with running Windows applications in Crossover. Running Windows applications in Linux is offensive to some Linux purists. I suppose running Abiword, gnumeric, and GIMP in Windows is offensive to some Windows purists too. Being a pragmatist, I say do what works for you!

Jerry

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Unless you want to use something other than the Three Core Apps - Word, Excel, Powerpoint, WINE will do fine. The core apps get looked at the most.

But anyways... The whole compatability list is here -> http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManage...rsion&iId=4992

Don't use office 2010. Installer works if you put your back into it, but the apps don't.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I switched to Open Office before switching to linux and loved it from the moment I loaded it. Is there something Word can do that OO can't?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by b.ash View Post
    I switched to Open Office before switching to linux and loved it from the moment I loaded it. Is there something Word can do that OO can't?
    Other than Word macros, probably not. However, the Open Office Writer is only somewhat compatible with Word. In particular, formatting can get screwed up between the two. Not that one is better than the other, it is just that they are not the same.

Jerry

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rathish.arumugam View Post
    Can I install Microsft office through wine?..
    If you're going to RELY on using MS Office on a daily basis, then it's important to understand the limitations that folks have mentioned ... summarized below:
    1) Only the "core" Office products work. Don't ask about Outlook or Access because they will not work. Also, once you start branching out into stuff like Project, Info Path, Visio, you're getting into other Office apps that most likely, will NOT work.
    2) Office 2010 does not work. Period. It took Codeweavers three years to get SOME of Office 2007 to work, and by the time they did, Office 2010 was already out. So, if you need 2010, expect it to be YEARS before that will happen.
    3) The Wine add-ons (like Winetricks or Crossover) simplify installation and configuration, they do not provide additional features. Meaning, if it doesn't work in Wine, it won't work using any of the add-ons.
    4) The new Office 2007 default formats (docx, for example) do NOT work well with non-Office products. Lots of complaints heard here about Open Office and/or Libre Office not handling these files properly. Nothing you do here is going to change that.

So, basically, if you really need to rely on MS Office for daily usage, you're better off dual-booting and retaining a working MS Windows version of MS Office.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by dodo3773 View Post
    I run office 2007 in wine. I use a commercial version of wine though called "crossover-linux". If you don't mind spending a couple of bucks I highly recommend it. It pretty much does everything for you. Outlook even works with the new version.
    Office 2007 works perfectly in wine
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast