Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: MS Paint

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: MS Paint

Quote Originally Posted by lkraemer View Post
    Followed HavocXphere's instructions for using filemon from sysinternals to scope out what DLL's
    needed to be added in C:/Windows/System32 to allow MSPaint to run.

Instructions for getting Windows XP - MS Paint on Linux
    MS Paint on Ubuntu
    MSPaint Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp Service Pack 3)

1. Copy the following files from a Windows XP (SP3) Install to a USB Flash Drive
    C:\Windows\System32\ (Files needed are...)
    mfc42.dll
    mfc42u.dll
    msisip.dll
    msvcrt.dll
    mspaint.exe
    olepro32.dll
    wshext.dll

2. Copy the following Folders from a Windows XP (SP3) Install to a USB Flash Drive
    C:\Windows\AppPatch
    C:\Windows\Fonts

3. Create a Folder named MSPaint at .wine/drive_c/Program Files
    (Substitute a ? for the SPACE in Program?Files for copying.)

4. Copy mspaint.exe to .wine/drive_c/windows/Program Files/MSPaint
    Copy the remaining six files to .wine/drive_c/windows/system32
    Copy the Folder AppPatch to .wine/drive_c/windows
    Copy the Folder Fonts to .wine/drive_c/windows

5. CREATE A UBUNTU DESKTOP ICON:
    Right Click on the Desktop, Left Click on Create Launcher.

Name XP-MSPaint
    Description
    Command wine "/home/youruserlogin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/MSPaint/mspaint.exe"
    Comment Microsoft XP Paint Ver 5.1

6. Double click on XP-MSPaint to test Paint ver 5.1
    Be sure to Click on TEXT in the Left Menu, then draw a Box for the TEXT INPUT,
    then go to the top menu and select VIEW TEXT BOX to allow for changing the
    Font selection and size.

7. When a printer has been installed......To change Print from Portrait to Landscape,
    go to Printer settings and change it there versus the opening Print Setup screen selection.

Things that do not work properly are:
    1. Printing - When opening a LARGE BMP File, and trying to Preview, or print to paper.

Tested with Wine 1.01 and Ubuntu 9.10 03-03-2010

lk
    sweeeeeeeeeet
    Brown doesn't suck. And neither does wood. Download Woody. A Metacity theme.
    Note: the rm command deletes stuff! Don't be tricked into running malicious scripts. If in doubt, ask!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why does everyone "need" MS Paint so badly? GIMP does what MS Paint does x10 better =/ Its less professional then Photoshop but it still is better then MS Paint and it comes with Ubuntu.

Applications >>> Graphics >>> GIMP Image Editor

Beans

Bwathke,
    It's a simple answer for me. I had some plans scanned at 600DPI and
    the size in pixels was 21600 x 36000 (21.4M) 1BB. Several of the
    files were burnt to CDR and named Temp000398 thru Temp000404. I tried
    GIMP and I couldn't view or open the files. Image Viewer, or any other
    Application I have tried didn't work either. I needed to find out what
    information was contained in each file. I finally tried MS Paint 5.1
    and it worked great. Next step was to get MS Paint running in Wine 1.0.1.

I'd much rather use GIMP, or some other Linux Application, but so
    far I haven't found a way to do that yet. Do you have any Ideas or
    helpful Suggestions I could try?

I have successfully used other Windows Software running in VirtualBox to clean
    up the scans and print to paper.

Maybe I need to submit a BUG Report for Gimp not being able to open that
    LARGE of a TIF file!

Thanks.

lk
    Last edited by lkraemer; March 7th, 2010 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Typo and added more detail

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bwathke View Post
    Why does everyone "need" MS Paint so badly? GIMP does what MS Paint does x10 better =/ Its less professional then Photoshop but it still is better then MS Paint and it comes with Ubuntu.

Very simple. I want an easy to use select tool.

@TNAFan

Kolourpaint?

Beans

Red face Re: MS Paint

I can very much identify with people who would like their old trusty apps working in Linux. I am sure Gimp is capable of doing everything that MS Paint does but to me, as I have been using MS Paint since the days it was still called 'Paintbrush' in Windows 3.0, its interface feels almost instinctive and that's why I for one would very much like it to work in Ubuntu. So yes, you're probably right when you say that I and perhaps others are closed minded when it comes to learning how to use alternative applications, admittedly.
    The thing that annoys me when I read forums where people (mostly) suggest alternative applications as the solution to getting a certain programme working is the fact that they are not addressing the actual question. Often the question of how to get a certain / specific application to work is misinterpreted by many as how to achieve what this program normally does [in Ubuntu]. In all except the rarest cases the person asking actually MEANT what he asked, unless you have a good reason to assume otherwise.
    Therefore, in discussions as these, please refrain from (only) suggesting alternative apps and especially from demanding the subject to justify his/her motive to use the app as this will only cause irritation and doesn't actually solve anything. Alternative software is only a real 'solution' when all else fails and there is absolutely no way to get the app working.

I have also attempted to install MS Paint in Ubuntu 10.04, but to no avail. I have a VirtualBox VM with Windows 7 on it, so theoretically I could just run Paint in there, but I hate having to use the shared folder all the time and the clipboard from the host machine to the guest machine (even though I've installed Guest Additions in the guest machine) doesn't transfer image data.

When I installed mspaint.exe first, I got the same error message:

Code:
    joshuajones@joshuajones-desktop:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32$ wine mspaint.exe
    err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\mspaint.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\mspaint.exe" failed, status c0000135
    The solution seemed simple; just get a copy of MFC42u.dll in Wine's system32 folder. That's what I did. Then I got a whole string of errors:

Code:
    joshuajones@joshuajones-desktop:~/.wine/dosdevices/c:/windows/system32$ wine mspaint.exe
    err:module:import_dll Library KERNELBASE.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Debug-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-ErrorHandling-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-File-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Handle-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Interlocked-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-LibraryLoader-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Localization-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-LocalRegistry-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Memory-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Misc-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-ProcessEnvironment-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-ProcessThreads-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Profile-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-String-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-Synch-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Core-SysInfo-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library API-MS-Win-Security-Base-L1-1-0.dll (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\MFC42u.DLL") not found
    err:module:import_dll Library MFC42u.DLL (which is needed by L"C:\\windows\\system32\\mspaint.exe") not found
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\mspaint.exe" failed, status c0000135
    These are all just references to DLLs missing. Since my VM has Win 7 on it I just located each of these DLLs in the VM and copied them into the Wine System 32 directory. When I did that and I tried to run MS Paint again, I got this:

Code:
    fixme:ntdll:NtQuerySystemInformation (0x00000032,0x32fad4,0x00000004,(nil)) stub
    wine: Call from 0x7bc3e3b0 to unimplemented function ntdll.dll.RtlCreateTagHeap, aborting
    err:module:attach_process_dlls "KERNELBASE.dll" failed to initialize, aborting
    err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"C:\\windows\\system32\\mspaint.exe" failed, status 80000100
    I'm at a dead end here ... is there anyone who can tell me where I went wrong? And more importantly, how to fix this?
    And just to be frank; 'just use Gimp' is not a solution to getting MS Paint to work in Wine

All help deeply appreciated

[EDIT] It must also be added that I have also followed lkraemer's steps but that didn't work either.
    Last edited by Jcj91; August 26th, 2010 at 05:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

any updates on this thing .. i m basically stuck at this API-MS-WINE-CORE-* .DLL errors .. google hasnt been friendly today !!
    Thinkpad X61
    Thinkpad R500
    Not getting any younger thinkpads:
    Thinkpad R40 - RIP

Beans

For those having trouble, I believe you mis-read the copying directions.
    I've updated the instructions to be more specific. If you double check
    what you did versus what should have been done, I think you can get it working.
    You can check your history file to see what commands were executed.

I just installed MSPaint on Debian 6.0 with Wine 1.1.42 and it works fine.

Before you create the launcher use the following Terminal command to see
    if it functions.
    Code:
    wine "/home/youruserlogin/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/MSPaint/mspaint.exe"
    instead of this:
    Code:

lkraemer
    Last edited by lkraemer; June 18th, 2011 at 09:40 PM.

Beans

ok so i followed all the directions and got lots of dlls in place.
    I have a few questions and am not afraid to break my build

First off. Yes MS paint has some very basic functions which have not been adequately adapted into anything else like the background transparency toggle, the ability to select (screen capture) from a selected area and move it (this would be like select area float area move area merge layer in gimp: when in paint its a simple drag drop). Also gimp only became tolerable after i realized i should save it as a bitmap (lossless compression) allowing me to see a preview instead of another weasel. until these minor ease of use items are properly reconciled I will always prefer paint.

1 does it matter if I copy the vista system 32 files and vista paint instead of the xp ones? (I think wine would be configured to the ME version then?)

2 I do not understand the latter part of #4 and #5. I made the folder but not the drwxr... part I assume that is something to use in the terminal. is it a straight copy paste? I am new to linux. I know its changing read write access but what is all the after larry larry stuff?

Yes its very simple stuff for linux veterans, but no I don't know how to do it without asking yet. Is it just terminal Su password paste? or do I need to path each file in order to change it?

Could you break #4 up into logical steps to follow with the //commentary//?

Thanks
    Last edited by enduser; August 2nd, 2011 at 05:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

GNOME paint is microsoft paint clone for linux

hi

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234