Thread: Large capacity alternatives for an iPod?

Beans

Large capacity alternatives for an iPod?

I've cast a quick look around with Google and Newegg, and visited Cowon's website, and remain with this question; Are there really any large capacity alternatives for an iPod that are feasible for linux users?

By feasible, I mean not having to deal with that MTP crap. By large capacity, I mean 80GB and larger. My collection is approaching 60GB now, and I have an old 40GB Creative Zen Touch that I'm hoping to upgrade from sometime this summer.

I'm looking for something with a color screen, as well. That would be a relief.

Note: I really do dislike iPods, so please don't keep suggesting them over and over. It's a personal choice.

Of course, OGG compatibility would be a plus.

Thanks a bunch.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Large capacity alternatives for an iPod?

I use a 30gb video ipod with the open source rockbox hack which allows me to play ogg and do away with all the itunes crap. http://www.rockbox.org
    It also runs on some other types of players.
    If it Ain't broke, break it and then fix it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Fluxbuntu

I've cast a quick look around with Google and Newegg, and visited Cowon's website, and remain with this question; Are there really any large capacity alternatives for an iPod that are feasible for linux users?
    The choices are few, and Ipod comes out on top for many reasons beyond the fashion sense of white ear buds, like me, you could just buy better quality black sony's and forget about it.

I'm looking for something with a color screen, as well. That would be a relief.
    Unless you are after a PDA, this brings down the selection a lot as well, that is, for what you are after.

Note: I really do dislike iPods, so please don't keep suggesting them over and over. It's a personal choice.
    I wonder why people keep suggesting them

Of course, OGG compatibility would be a plus.
    The only thing that holds up next to the iPod touch is the Archos 705 wifi.

Check it out here- I am a link
    An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

definatly an archos, you just plug it in and drag and drop your files into the directories, mp3, flac, ogg, whatever, archos supports just about any format

Beans

An Asus Eee PC with a wad of 8GB camera cards or USB sticks makes a nice music player. It not only has a colour screen, but you can browse Ubuntuforums while playing music too... (Guess what I'm doing - E Nomine blaring away here on my Eee PC!).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Blindraven View Post
    The choices are few, and Ipod comes out on top for many reasons beyond the fashion sense of white ear buds, like me, you could just buy better quality black sony's and forget about it.

Unless you are after a PDA, this brings down the selection a lot as well, that is, for what you are after.

I wonder why people keep suggesting them

The only thing that holds up next to the iPod touch is the Archos 705 wifi.

Check it out here- I am a link
    Well, a lot of vendors come close; Creative makes decent looking mp3 players that approach what I'm looking for, but they're bogged down with the MTP firmware, and as far as I know, Rockbox isn't available for the latest models. I used to fancy Cowon, but they don't have any newer players that have enough capacity for me. Same with iRiver.

I like the Archos, and have an eye on it, but the only thing that fazes me about it is the price. It's justifiable for the screen, but I don't really need a screen that big, so it's a bit of a see-saw.

I have the feeling that if nothing turns up by the summer, I'll just settle for a smaller-capacity player and bide my time until something decent is released.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by HermanAB View Post
    An Asus Eee PC with a wad of 8GB camera cards or USB sticks makes a nice music player. It not only has a colour screen, but you can browse Ubuntuforums while playing music too... (Guess what I'm doing - E Nomine blaring away here on my Eee PC!).
    That's definitely something to think about, since I was considering an EeePC anyways. I'd like something with more storage capacity, as I said, but that's definitely a good idea. I'll keep it in mind.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The PSP makes for a good compatible alternative, however it's still ridiculously propritary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

My laptop works just fine...