Thread: Yet another question about mounting with user read/write access using vboxsf here

Beans

Yet another question about mounting with user read/write access using vboxsf here

Hi there.

I'm giving up on finding the answer myself and thus asking for help.

System is: Windows XP host, Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10 guest using Virtual Box, addition cd installed in Ubuntu guest. Windows folder set up called "sharefolder", Ubuntu mount point called /mount/point (not really but I'll use it here).

The closest I got was using
    Code:
    sudo mount.vboxsf -o uid=1000,gid=1000,convertcp=iso8859-1 sharefolder /mount/point
    but I still get
    Code:
    $ ls -ld /mount/point/
    dr-xr-xr-x 1 user user 0 Jan  5 20:54
    $ echo blubb > /mount/point/test.txt
    bash: /mount/point/test.txt: Permission denied
    I did the chmod and chown "tricks" (e.g. other UF thread) before (which doesn't make sense to me anyway) and after (which shouldn't be necessary) mounting sudoed. Unfortunatelly there is no umask= option for vboxsf type mount since that's the only thing that sounds like it could matter, still.

Though, I have found others with the same problem in virtualbox forum and elsewhere. This to me seams Ubuntu specific because the way Ubuntu handles "user mounts"; from vbox help:

The generic mount options (documented in the mount manual page) apply
    also. Especially useful are the options uid, gid and mode, as they
    allow access by normal users (in read/write mode, depending on the
    settings) even if root has mounted the filesystem.
    Does anyone else see any options or what I did wrong? It would really be anoing if I had to always use sudo to write to the windows share folder! Thanks heaps in advance!

Cheers,
    kakao.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Yet another question about mounting with user read/write access using vboxsf here

This is working for me:

sudo mount -t vboxsf sharename /home/username/mountpoint -o rw,exec,uid=1000,gid=1000,dev

It works with both Fedora and Ubuntu clients.