Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] To eeePC or not to eeePC is THE question...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: To eeePC or not to eeePC is THE question...

I've recently had a go with a friend's Eee PC, and it really is a great machine. I really want one myself, and I may start saving up for one.
    Having said that, I really don't think it can do everything a normal laptop can do. If I had a choice of either hanging onto my current laptop or selling it and buying an Eee PC, I'd hang onto the existing one. For one thing, the price of an Eee PC may come down in the future (even though it's already a great bargain), and there may well be an 8GB version on the way.
    While it is a fantastic computer for the price, I wouldn't want to have to rely on it as my main computer. It's great for casual browsing, checking e-mail, occasionally playing the odd game and catching up on some work. But I really don't think it's likely that it will be an adequate replacement for your existing laptop.
    My advice would have to be to stick with what you've got, but start saving for an Eee PC if you want one. Obviously, only you can make the decision as to whether it will do all you want from it, so if you can try one out, that might be a good idea.
    Immorality: the morality of those who are having a better time. -H. L. Mencken

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mdsmedia View Post
    my laptop's 2 1/2 years old. Why do you think 1 1/2 is old?
    the battery is dying, the fan's on it's way out, the panels occasionally pop out etc.....
    Windows 7 RC
    Dell Latitude D620 - C2d 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro Graphics, 120 GB HDD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mthakur2006 View Post
    the battery is dying, the fan's on it's way out, the panels occasionally pop out etc.....
    Well that's a different story then

I've rarely relied on my notebook's battery life. It's never been much more than 2 hours anyway.

I haven't looked at the eeePC. Seen it mentioned a bit. Might have to do some research. I believe it's a sub-note?
    Linux Registered User #401979
    Ubuntu Registered User #14181

Minds are like parachutes, dangerous if kept closed!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by mthakur2006 View Post
    Then your original proposition would not hold. If the laptop is about to fall apart, I don't think you will get enough for it to buy an e3. I suggest to wait half a year or even a year and buy the successor of the e3.
    ch
    In Switzerland we make it other
    with apologies to Gerard Hoffnung

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm inclined to agree. But I can't help but feel that a laptop that is on its last legs after a mere year and a half is pretty poor. The battery issue is fair enough, that happens, but the rest is very poor performance.
    I'm running Kubuntu Gutsy on a three-and-a-half year old Dell Inspiron, and that's still going strong apart from the battery not having much life in it.
    Immorality: the morality of those who are having a better time. -H. L. Mencken

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MattBD View Post
    I'm inclined to agree. But I can't help but feel that a laptop that is on its last legs after a mere year and a half is pretty poor. The battery issue is fair enough, that happens, but the rest is very poor performance.
    I'm running Kubuntu Gutsy on a three-and-a-half year old Dell Inspiron, and that's still going strong apart from the battery not having much life in it.
    Agreed, plus, laptops aren't quite as un-upgradeable as people tend to think! You can add larger drives, you can add more memory, and if you're really lucky....and fearless, there's a chance you could ditch the celeron.
    ~~ Ubuntu Forums Firefox/Flock Menu ~~ Ubuntu User Number 206 ~~ Linux user number 403379 ~~

~~ If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it. ~~

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

This is slightly an off-topic question...

Considering the OP's current laptop specs...Is it or is it not more powerful than the Asus eeePC? Doesn't the Asus have an Intel Celeron M running at only 900mhz with the same intel chipset (i915/GMA900) as the OP's Lenovo?

I almost have the same setup as the OP and I am also keeping my eye on the Asus. I personally wouldn't get one...at least not at this point. I'm holding out for some better features that Asus might introduce.
    Last edited by isaacj87; January 5th, 2008 at 11:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

10", 8GB model will be out this year apparently, I'm waiting for that one!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by got awesome? View Post
    10", 8GB model will be out this year apparently, I'm waiting for that one!
    Yeah, that one does sound fairly tempting.
    ~~ Ubuntu Forums Firefox/Flock Menu ~~ Ubuntu User Number 206 ~~ Linux user number 403379 ~~

~~ If someone asks you to sudo rm -rf anything don't do it. ~~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I've recently had a go with a friend's Eee PC, and it really is a great machine. I really want one myself, and I may start saving up for one.
    Having said that, I really don't think it can do everything a normal laptop can do. If I had a choice of either hanging onto my current laptop or selling it and buying an Eee PC, I'd hang onto the existing one. For one thing, the price of an Eee PC may come down in the future (even though it's already a great bargain), and there may well be an 8GB version on the way.
    While it is a fantastic computer for the price, I wouldn't want to have to rely on it as my main computer. It's great for casual browsing, checking e-mail, occasionally playing the odd game and catching up on some work. But I really don't think it's likely that it will be an adequate replacement for your existing laptop.
    My advice would have to be to stick with what you've got, but start saving for an Eee PC if you want one. Obviously, only you can make the decision as to whether it will do all you want from it, so if you can try one out, that might be a good idea.
    I have a pretty powerful desktop (3.66Ghz P4 HT, 512 MB RAM, 128 Graphics, 17" Monitor, 160 GB Hard disk etc.) and i use my laptops for casual browsing, email, im, some music, some work and some compiling once in a while + some web development......and not so long ago, my current laptop had 256 MB + i usually scale the CPU down to 537 Mhz to save battery......so the e3 is a better proposition. Only thing I am worried about is the screen...what were your thoughts on that?

Quote Originally Posted by mdsmedia View Post
    Well that's a different story then

I've rarely relied on my notebook's battery life. It's never been much more than 2 hours anyway.

I haven't looked at the eeePC. Seen it mentioned a bit. Might have to do some research. I believe it's a sub-note?
    Yes, it's a sub-notebook (from wikipedia)

Quote Originally Posted by popch View Post
    Then your original proposition would not hold. If the laptop is about to fall apart, I don't think you will get enough for it to buy an e3. I suggest to wait half a year or even a year and buy the successor of the e3.
    Erm... i mean i do have some spare cash and laptop is alright now and will be for a couple of years with some upgrades (i know a mate who said he will change the fans etc. for a nominal charge).
    Windows 7 RC
    Dell Latitude D620 - C2d 2 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, Nvidia Quadro Graphics, 120 GB HDD

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast