Thread: Need advice about video setup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Need advice about video setup

I need advice on what is the best way forward with Mythbuntu. My mythtv system has an Happauge PVR-350 and I have been the TV-out on this card for directing video out to my analog TV. This analog TV has the following video inputs: 1-composite, 1-component and 1-s-video. This worked well only because Knoppmyth automatically configured TV-out for this TV-tuner card.

However, I want to switch to Mythbuntu. I want to direct video out to my analog TV via the video card. The videocard I have been using is an ATI 9500 and I have been unsuccessful in getting s-video out to work with this videocard.

The reason for using the videocard for video out is because (1) Mythbuntu does not support TV-out automatically (yes, I know there are instructions available) on the PVR-350 and (2) prepare now for the eventual day that I purchase a digital TV.

What is the easiest and best way forward?

Purchase an Nvidia card with DVI and direct video out via a DVI-component cable?

Purchase an Nvidia card with s-video and direct video out via s-video?

If the DVI route is the way to go, do I need to be concerned with the resolution? In other words, will I potentially damage by analog TV by using a too high of a resolution and directing video via a DVI-component connection?

Because I have multiple devices that use component, for example a DVD player, I was considering of purchasing an AV receiver. Is there any issue I should be concerned about when using an AV receiver with Mythbuntu?

Any advice will regarding how to connect video directly from a videocard to an analog TV will be greatly appreciated.

Al
    Long time Mythbuntu User. Current Mythbuntu System: Intel i3, 4Gb RAM, 1.3 TB Storage, Mythbuntu 12.04/0.27 fixes, HDTV 5500 Tuner, Ceton Infiniti 4 Tuner

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Need advice about video setup

Did you try your setup with Mythbuntu live cd? You never know until you try if your hardware combination will work.

I would opt for an inexpensive Nvidia with svid out. Like the 6200, mine works great. This should work well with the TV directly or an A/V distribution system.

My onboard ATI 1250 with Svid out worked during install. I had to change drivers to get all aspects of Myth to work. Nvidia had better support.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Need advice about video setup

Quote Originally Posted by volkswagner View Post
    Did you try your setup with Mythbuntu live cd? You never know until you try if your hardware combination will work.

I would opt for an inexpensive Nvidia with svid out. Like the 6200, mine works great. This should work well with the TV directly or an A/V distribution system.

My onboard ATI 1250 with Svid out worked during install. I had to change drivers to get all aspects of Myth to work. Nvidia had better support.
    Thank you for the quick reply!

FYI - Of the nvidia cards, I am thinking of going with the PNY VCG62256APB GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit GDDR2 AGP 4X/8X Video Card.

This card comes with an s-video cable and a htdv adapter (component I think) that plugs into the same s-video out port on the back of the card. Am I correct in thinking that I could connect the s-video out on the card to the TV via s-video or component?

Thanks again for all the help....

Al
    Long time Mythbuntu User. Current Mythbuntu System: Intel i3, 4Gb RAM, 1.3 TB Storage, Mythbuntu 12.04/0.27 fixes, HDTV 5500 Tuner, Ceton Infiniti 4 Tuner