Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The prefect RSS-Reader

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

The prefect RSS-Reader

There are quite a couple of RSS-readers available and like in all software applications they differ in features and functionality.

I tried to use a least 7 of them and came to know that functionality differs greatly. It would be interested to know which key functions Ubuntu users need so that the developers don't waste their time in programming stuff that's no really required or wanted.

Let's go for it!

What key-functions/features do you need in your rss-feeder? Please be short and precise as developers might not want to get involved into novels....
    Last edited by be4truth; January 5th, 2008 at 01:15 PM.
    Don't forget to thank; more points when you want to go to heaven or less karma if you decide for reincarnation. Mark threads solved when they are ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: The prefect RSS-Reader

Need:
    1. Handling duplicates, must discard duplicates in the same feed. Also must mark a duplicate read if its in another feed (like the linux.com and newsforge feeds, liferea does this)

2. Allow notifications on some feeds but not on others. So a little notification appears if a particular feed is updated, but if another feed is updated the notification does not appear. I want this because I have the BBC feed and it updates all the time with the same thing (Iraqi blogs)

Would like:
    1. The ability to output a combined feed, sort of like the Planet aggregator does, except straight off my application.

2. When it's a blog post or something, some readers (liferea, for example) will get and display comments in a little box within the feed preview. I like that and wish it could be pushed into a plugin style thing so that more feeds can be supported.

PS: You live in Auroville? Nice.
    May the FOSS be with you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

i am pretty happy with liferea

it would be nice to be able to disable flash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

1. Needs to pay MP3,
    2. Have different values for each feed of the historical data to keep.
    3. Good search features.
    Ubuntu User Map Ubuntu User # 16436

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For what I do...Google Reader fits the bill nicely. It is able to handle as many feeds as I need, and will play mp3 podcasts, etc as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Some filters (like; by how many new ones each RSS can download at a time (Google news gave me about 20 every 5 minutes) or filter by words)
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -- Mark Twain
    Registered Linux User #461743

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ssam View Post
    i am pretty happy with liferea

it would be nice to be able to disable flash.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickburns View Post
    1. Needs to pay MP3,
    2. Have different values for each feed of the historical data to keep.
    3. Good search features.
    I wish Liferea didn't have XSPF (flash thing) to play audio, it's crap. I wish they used some normal gstreamer thing.
    A Fedora user

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

*good Firefox integration,
    *remove duplicate news,
    *possibility to mark important news and prevent them from being expired
    *normal download interface working in the preview as well as the full view
    *defining what clicks do is handy (left, middle and right click
    *background tab loading via middle click on slow internet connection helps a lot browsing through lots of news headlines and open them in the background
    *easy choice to open a news in a tab or external browser
    Don't forget to thank; more points when you want to go to heaven or less karma if you decide for reincarnation. Mark threads solved when they are ...

Beans

google reader

Beans

You know, I started making a list, then realized that a lot of the features I like are found in my current reader, Liferea. But then there are some things I would like to see in it in the future. So take the below as referencing Liferea as it currently is:

* not just global and individual feed update settings but folder settings too. That way I can just drop a feed in without having to worry about that issue.
    * When a feed is added, I want to be able to immediately change the name and select the hierarchical location. While the current setup is nice for minimization of clicks, I ALWAYS have to go in to properties to edit the name and then drag it down folders until it's in the right spot. This is a pain especially for author pages, since I've got hundreds of them categorized by site->first letter of author's name->author's name.
    * The 'unread' folder in Liferea is nice. But it'd be nice if the articles that showed up there had some kind of label that let me know what feed they came from...
    * The built-in browser is nice; it allows me to read a news article without opening up a browser window. But it's a little irritating to open up an archive and it drops through a browser and THEN saves to desktop, or a torrent file and have the same thing happen before it hits my torrent application. In short, if it's a non-HTML file, I want it handled without my browser entering the picture.
    * For some reason, Liferea doesn't get certain kinds of updates. For example, there is a story site called "fanfiction.net". The stories are in atom feeds, and Liferea detects when new stories are written. But it doesn't detect if there are any changes (ie, new chapters). It's kind of obnoxious, since that's what those story feeds are there for; watching for new chapters.

If the above could be fixed, Liferea would be quite perfect for me, I think. I don't need a relational database (like Epiphany's bookmarks), since my feeds are strictly hierarchical, and I don't care too much about flash or audio.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast