Thread: Why would this thread get moved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Why would this thread get moved

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=655949

Why did this get moved to "Wine"

No one reads the "Wine" subforum. Or at least it seems that way

I posted it in "Gaming and Leisure" because, it simply has to do with "Gaming and Leisure".

This thread moving, with all due respect, is getting kind of nit-picky.

It is my humble opinion that there are too many sub-forums anyway, making it harder and harder to be heard.

Not to start a riot or anything, just my opinion.
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans

Re: Why would this thread get moved

That is a Wine issue, makes sense to me. This is a very large forum, as you noted, and I think the admins to a pretty good job of keeping it tidy.

I tend to hover around only 4 support forums, and I am sure the others that lack me have dedicated posters and readers also.

You have a better chance of getting responses for your post in the Wine section because anyone who runs WoW on Linux is likely to use Wine (or at least beer)
    Last edited by LaRoza; January 2nd, 2008 at 06:06 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

If it's what you linked to above, then I totally agree.

All it is is a poll about how many FPS people get in World of Warcraft. You're right. Why should that be moved to Wine?

Weird things happen here sometimes. I made a thread in the gaming section about getting Medal of Honor working in Wine, and it rightfully got moved to the Wine subforum. But they merged it with a thread that was all about Lord of the Rings; it had nothing to do with Medal of Honor.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exactly. All it was was a poll about fps, not a question about how to get it to work in wine. That seems as general as you can get. And I can count LOTS of posts in "Gaming and Leisure" that are about games that must be run via wine that did not get moved to a wine subforum. If this is the case I would like to see how many games survive in the "Gaming and Leisure" forum that are native. Lets face it, gaming in Ubuntu quite often employs the use of wine. Yes there are a ton of native games, I know, but how many full blown put together mmorpgs or action/adventure games are there that have a story line and not just some shoot and run fps against some bots....
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Because it's a thread about the performance of a game running under Wine, not a native game, thus it belongs under the Wine section.

I'm quite happy that the forum guys separated out all the Wine questions and such; it makes it easier to concentrate on questions and comments about native games in the main section and then hop over to the Wine section for that. There were far too many Wine topics in the main games section.

I just wish there was a direct link to it at the top of the gaming & leisure forum (yes, there's a sticky, and there's the forum jump at the bottom, but a direct link would be more convenient).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So, once again so we are clear, "Gaming and Leisure" is for native games only then. Huh, never noticed that...

Heres some current ones...

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=656628

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=656653

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=656257

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=57967

Just a few in the first FOUR pages.
    Last edited by Ripfox; January 3rd, 2008 at 05:58 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

And those should be, and probably will be, moved. Lots of threads are started in G&L that are Wine-related despite the sticky, and I'm sure it's a lot of work trying to get them all moved to where they should go.

And specifically, Gaming & Leisure, as I understand it, should be for Linux native games and games in general that do not have anything to do with running Windows games via Wine or any of its derivatives.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

So, once again so we are clear, "Gaming and Leisure" is for native games only then. Huh, never noticed that...
    ...oops! I'm not doing too good then.....
    If it Ain't broke, break it and then fix it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DoktorSeven View Post
    And those should be, and probably will be, moved. Lots of threads are started in G&L that are Wine-related despite the sticky, and I'm sure it's a lot of work trying to get them all moved to where they should go.

And specifically, Gaming & Leisure, as I understand it, should be for Linux native games and games in general that do not have anything to do with running Windows games via Wine or any of its derivatives.
    Makes sense, as no Windows forum would expect their "Gaming" section to apply to Linux games.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by ripfox View Post
    Why did this get moved to "Wine"

No one reads the "Wine" subforum. Or at least it seems that way
    no one will ever read the wine subforum if all the wine posts are elsewhere

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast