Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: we all poke fun at Micro$oft *******, but why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: we all poke fun at Micro$oft *******, but why?

I agree with that statement, I also liked win2000,
    but I prefer linux or FreeBSD over any other OS. I messed with Solaris for a while and that seened good to, but at the time I decided to return to FreeBSD and no I'm liking ubuntu.

The main thing between other OS's and Microsoft is the control we have over the system not to mention the shear number of choices between the different flavors.
    While when using Microsoft you only get choices between business, personal, etc. and they all cost different prices where as with open source you can choose which system is best for you and your needs, all for the low low price of FREE. And it comes more stable and more secure out of the box.
    So it isn't so much about hate, but why use something you don't like, more importantly, why pay for something you don't want. I can try 100's of different distros until I find what suits my wants and needs without having to worry about licensing fees and so on and so forth.
    It's all about freedom of choice.

Beans

i use linux because i love the philosophy behind it and the power it gives me. not that i hate windows though. its just that windows is not my taste.

i like the idea of people helping people, rather than a bunch of guys acting like helping me because they want my money, while all the time making it even worse!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

For the sake of argument....

I installed PCLinuxOS on a Compaq V6000 laptop for my dad. After several hours of working on the WiFi I had to uninstall the OS. (At every reboot, I'd have to reinstall the WiFi drivers). Believe me, I read ALL the available "maybe this will work" docs, but none of them did. Prior to that I tried Ubuntu Feisty, Gutsy; Dream Linux; Mepis; Zenwalk; Debian; and Suse. None of them would load up on this laptop. So what OS did? Vista. Yes sir, it was the ONLY OS that would load up and work right out of the box. I didn't have to install any video drivers, WiFi drivers, etc.

So in spite of all the bashing MS takes, it was a god send for the sake of my dad. I will also add that it's quick, runs very smooth, and meets all the computing needs for my dad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

M$ Vista = lipstick on a pig.
    I like Ubuntu because it doesn't assume that it is the solution to everything, and if there is a problem I can solve it myself, and learn something in the process.

I think that linux is more 'friendly' than ******* because it is community based rather than being dictated by corporate interest and drm.
    If it Ain't broke, break it and then fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Niklas Schröder View Post
    so what is it about micro$oft that makes all us linux users hate it?
    I don't hate it. I just don't like it much anymore. The reason for me is because I embarked on this Ubuntu ride just to learn. Then I got spoiled by it... I don't have to constantly reinstall on my wife's and kids systems due to malware and worms that got past my bloated spyware/virus scanners. Eventhough they are updated daily.

Since putting on Ubuntu and learning how to set it up properly, I have no crys from wife and kids about OS issues.

I have 10 computes running in my house all the time, and Win maint. was a full time job. Now, instead of the "I Hate Computers" spouting off from the wife and kids, I hear.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..........................................

Goodnight honey/dad....................... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

It's peace baby... I'm spoiled and loving it.....
    Mac Pro 5,1 6-Core 3.33GHz, 48GB, Sapphire RX580
    Optical -- Apple Super Drive & MCE Internal Blu-ray
    512GB SM 970 Pro NVMe/HighPoint 7101A/10.14.5
    SonnetAllegro Pro USB 3/ 4TB WD/4TB - Barracuda

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by seventhc View Post
    nope,

btw its the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
    It isn't that people hate bill because of his success, it is b/c of his business practices and for the fact that windows truly does suck.
    but this thread isn't titled why do we hate bill gates, it is titled 'we all poke fun at Micro$oft *******, but why?'

You're right,
    Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, my mind is faster than my fingers. However, he (and his wife) do more direct good for the world than anything or anybody associated with another OS. They do this with the money made from microsoft. But as you righty said, thats not what this thread is about.

I really would like to know why people spend so much time and energy poking fun at Microsoft, what purpose does it serve? whom does it benefit?, I could give a few reasons but it would result in my post being edited or deleted.

In these forums, if you replaced the words 'microsoft' or 'bill gates' with 'woman' or 'christian', some threads would become so appalling they would be jailed in seconds.

Poking fun at anything for the sake of it is a pointless exercise, don't you agree? Just because some targets are acceptable on these forums it doesnt make it right, does it?

Like I said originally, the resources wasted on hate and bashing could be better utilized.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

optimization, pretty points,

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567