Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] How do I run a key press as a command?

Beans

Re: How do I run a key press as a command?

Quote Originally Posted by yabbadabbadont View Post
    Is btnx what you are looking for?
    No, but thank you. As far as i can tell, btnx can assign any keystroke or command to any button of your mouse, but that is not what I want (though some of the other posters seem to, though).

I want an application that I can use to simulate a key press at the command line. So that nameoftheapp keycode (or whatever form the command takes) equals pressing the key that has that keycode.

I was hoping something like that would exist. What if you have a script that needs some sort of confirmation from the command line (done automatically, without you pressing that key)?

I'd like to use this thing -- once I find it! -- to trigger certain actions of applications that only run by pressing a key assigned to it globally.

Beans

Your heading for a mass of problems when you do this.. You will learn soon what I mean...
    I have tried many Linux distro's and Ubuntu is the one I'm sure everyone should be using.=D>

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Why not just make a bash script and echo the letter? For the letter Y,

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    echo Y
    Then just save the file as whatever you want and run it like a command. You could even make a link to it in your panel or something so that if you click that icon, it will echo the letter Y to the terminal.

That's about as simple as it gets.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans

Thanks forrestcupp. That looks very simple. I'll try it out later, but would this work with something like ScrollLock, PrintScreen, Ctrl, Delete, etc.?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I don't know the exact details but I thought this was done using something like

echo KEY > /dev/keyboard

or I could be imagining things.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I was looking for something that would simulate repeated keystrokes in order to turn off my power saving screen settings when I watch films.

But doesn't echo display text, rather than simulating key presses?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by urukrama View Post
    I was hoping something like that would exist. What if you have a script that needs some sort of confirmation from the command line (done automatically, without you pressing that key)?
    In bash scripts you can do something like this:

Code:
    cat  <<+                                                                        
    Input for program "cat" here between the plus-signs.                                                                       
    +
    And now it gives automatically the input between plus signs to the program before the <<

This way you can give automatically input to programs which ask for input during use.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Try xkbevd.

E.g.

Code:
    /usr/bin/xvkbd -xsendevent -text "\[Alt_L]\[Left]"
    Will send the Alt+Left key combination.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Namtabmai View Post
    Try xkbevd.
    Thank you. This is interesting, but this only works (as far as I can tell) to send text to the focussed windows. That is what the man pages said, and that is how it worked for me.

But I want to send a (global) key press that triggers a command of an application. Xvkbd doesn't help with that, it seems.

(I had xkbevd installed, but needed to install xvkbd separately, btw)
    Last edited by urukrama; January 6th, 2008 at 10:31 PM.

Beans

Sorry to bring this up again, but I haven't had any luck so far. I have tried all the suggestions, but nothing did what I wanted (I couldn't quite grasp what ReiKn and napsilan suggested, though).

To clarify why I want to achieve this, I'll give an example of why I want to use a command to simulate a keypress. When running, tilda is only shown when a particular key is pressed (F1) by default. I would like to bind that to a mouse action in Openbox or Pekwm, but I can only bind commands (or Openbox and Pekwm actions) to mouse actions in those window managers. That is why I would like to simulate a keypress.

The keys I am interested in are not the general letters or numbers, but things like F1-F12, Scroll_Lock, Print_Screen, etc.

So, any further suggestions?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast