• It's pretty much the same as KDE 3

9 4.13%
  • It's awesome!

67 30.73%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Has anyone tried KDE 4?

Beans

I did...and it sucks

A friend of mine in the Central West End Linux Users Group (one of many LUGs here in the St. Louis area) loaned me a copy of Suse's KDE 4 demo. I brought it home, popped it into my CD tray, and lemme tell ya, it absolutely SUCKS.

I've been a Linux user for four years now, and during the last three years, I've had nothing but Linux on my computer, and I liked KDE 3 so much that I used only distros that used KDE as the desktop. Well, when I saw recently that KDE 4 would phase out some of their programs such as Konqueror, not to mention that they were going to adopt a default look that resembles Vista, I was very disappointed. After all, why make Linux look like an OS that's such a piece of crap, even to people who won't consider anything but Windows?

Even so, I was curious to see what it was like, and it only made me even more disappointed, since a lot of things had been rearranged and moved around for no good reason at all. In short, I feel like KDE done pulled a Microsoft on me.

Ever since I learned about KDE 4 and saw how it was trying to resemble that piece of junk known as Vista, I vowed right then and there I would be switching to a distro (I was using PCLinuxOS at the time) that used either GNOME or Xfce for the desktop. And now, I'm happy to say that I now have Ubuntu installed on my computer! In fact, I've really gotten to where I like GNOME, too, which is kind of a surprise, because I used to not like it at all, although I've always found Xfce to be fun to use, too.

Fred in St. Louis

Beans

Re: Has anyone tried KDE 4?

It totally kills me that they chose to replace the almighty Konqueror with a "mere" file manager. But then again I've usually used Krusader instead of Konqueror myself, so perhaps I'm not being very coherent here. And you can still esaily change your settings to get Konqueror back.

I did like KDE4 overall, it looks pretty good to me and definitely not similar to Vista (unless Xfce is also a copy of Gnome). I'll probably give it a more serious try with Kubuntu Hardy or Fedora 9 (yeah, I like people to fit things together for me), or when 4.1 finally comes out.
    Last edited by Arkenzor; March 10th, 2008 at 06:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: I did...and it sucks

Installed it, tried it and already removed it. Not because I hate it, infact I think the horizontally scrolling menu is really cool.

It's just I prefer Gnome's simplicity and "humility".

The dolphin file browser is nice though. I wish nautilus is like that.

Beans

Re: I did...and it sucks

I absolutely love the way it's heading. As of now it's in a pre-alpha state IMO as far as useability goes, but once we're up to 4.5, then I'll probably start using it properly.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Re: Has anyone tried KDE 4?

I just tried it out yesterday. Although it looks beautiful, it's still not for me. KDE just doesn't work for me. I've tried countless times to switch to KDE but it never works out. It must hate me or something.....
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567