/etc/fstab
    #usbfs
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1002,devmode=666 0 0

/etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules
    # USB devices (usbfs replacement)
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0666"

/etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs
    mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Followed all the guides to set them up correctly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: virtualbox-gutsy-usb?

Thanks. I have been through every imaginable setting of those files, but after your previous post about disabling EHCI etc. I was able to, sort of, finally get some USB devices to mount. Though whether that was the problem it's hard to say. I also ended up running this command to alter the permissions of /proc/bus/usb as it didn't seem to have the correct group r/w permissions after boot no matter what I set the config files to (group still set to root) -

$ sudo chown -R root:e /proc/bus/usb
    (e is my user acc't. and it's group)

The reasoning being that this is (afaik) the key mount directory that needs to be writable and the target of all the config files. This setting won't survive the next reboot I imagine. I also don't know whether this really helped, as I'm pretty sick of rebooting Ubuntu over and over to see the effect of settings.

Success: in stubborn determination I basically just checked and unchecked the device a few times in succession in the VM, and after getting an error message, the device would suddenly just mount as a drive. I was able to copy files to a USB key, and WMPlayer recognized the MP3 player and was able to sync music files to it.

However, stopping and restarting the VM, reconnecting these devices is hit and miss. Check, uncheck the device 5 or 10 times, it might finally show up.

Just for the heck of it, I re-enabled EHCI to get USB 2.0 support, also with mixed results. The VM installed a USB 2 driver etc but it also grabbed a printer that is on USB that it hadn't before and that I really don't want it to. And I couldn't get it to grab the USB key or mp3 player.

I also found that it wasn't necessary to set up any filters at all in the VirtualBox settings, doesn't seem to make any difference. Plug a new USB device in and the VM picks it up and lists it and might even grab it without having to check it off. (Or it might not!) I don't really see what the filters are supposed to do for you.

Anyway, I guess I'll keep messing with it. One last quick question for desktopfan - you have a group ID setting of 1002 - what group is that on your box?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by desktopfan View Post
    Ok after some more fiddling I managed to get it working.
    First I disabled EHCI Controller under USB settings then I removed all fields (excluding Vendor and Product ID) for my usb device.

Everything seems to be working now.
    I have the ECHI checkbox 'checked'....however, I can't get my built in webcam to work because it says I don't have enough bandwidth...still working on that one, but everything else works fine.
    Last edited by theZoid; February 1st, 2008 at 06:32 AM.
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

freddyp: many thanks for your post - works great:
    Registered Linux User #400396
    ... "Let me summarize the early days of software in one sentence: In the beginning, there was software, and it was free."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Just wanted to add a note that I think I've finally got my USB mp3 player working pretty well in an XP host. It's an iRiver Clix2. It needs to hook up via MTP pretocol so I can use it in Napster to sync downloaded tracks via Windows Media Player.

What really screwed me up was that Ubuntu by default had been set to recognize an MTP music player and to start Rhythmbox. I had to disable this by going to the menu: System | Preferences | Removable Drives and Media | Portable Music Players and uncheck the 'Play music . . .' option.

I actually re-booted just to be sure. Then I plugged in the music player, set up a USB filter for it in the VM settings, and started XP. The player was recognized on boot and a little red icon was sitting in the system tray. I started Win Media Player and was able to sync, detach, and re-attach the player, sync again, etc. Pretty slick.

Beans

Got my Zune working with Virtualbox and gutsy, nice....

Beans

Thanks freddyp! Works like a charm Ubuntu support is great. At this point I am finally ready to say.. Goodbye Windows.. 4 ever

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by desktopfan View Post
    /etc/fstab
    #usbfs
    none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=1002,devmode=666 0 0

/etc/udev/rules.d/40-permissions.rules
    # USB devices (usbfs replacement)
    SUBSYSTEM=="usb_device", MODE="0666"

/etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs
    mkdir -p /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs
    domount usbfs "" /dev/bus/usb/.usbfs -obusmode=0700,devmode=0600,listmode=0644
    ln -s .usbfs/devices /dev/bus/usb/devices
    mount --rbind /dev/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb

Followed all the guides to set them up correctly
    Desktopfan - That was the missing link I needed. USB is fully working now.

Thanks!
    Paul

Beans

Re: virtualbox-gutsy-cddevice problem

VirtualBox is not showing my CD/DVD drive in the drop down box

I'm using version 1.6.0-30421 for gutsy I also tried version 156-28266 for gutsy same result. Now I even can't mount the cd drive from inside ubuntu. I need help. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: virtualbox-gutsy-cddevice problem

Quote Originally Posted by aldodefilippi View Post
    VirtualBox is not showing my CD/DVD drive in the drop down box

I'm using version 1.6.0-30421 for gutsy I also tried version 156-28266 for gutsy same result. Now I even can't mount the cd drive from inside ubuntu. I need help. Thanks
    This is the way it works perfect for me in Hardy:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=242936

If I use mode 0666 things wont' work.
    DΞLL Precision M6500 "Big Dog": i7-820QM w/USB 3.0, 8.0GB DDR3-1333, 500GB 7200.3, nVidia Quadro FX 3800M 1.0GB DDR3, RGBLED, Intel 6300
    .debBlog (cheat sheets)
    IRS Problems?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12