View Poll Results: OS X or Ubuntu (when money isn't an issue) ?

Voters
344. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ubuntu

180 52.33%
  • OS X

164 47.67%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: just curious OSX vs ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

just curious OSX vs ubuntu

suppose money isn't an issue

Would you prefer a laptop with ubuntu or an ibook with OSX ?

For me money is an issue so I've never worked with one.
    Last edited by ubuntu_demon; November 29th, 2004 at 11:12 PM.

Beans

Re: just curious OSX vs ubuntu

ibook.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I added a poll.

Beans

Wink Re: just curious OSX vs ubuntu

I am going to split the fence, and ibook running Ubuntu

~Alan

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

amoser: Why ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

And how do I add an extra option to the poll ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by amoser
    I am going to split the fence, and ibook running Ubuntu

~Alan

same here - osx looks pretty and I've used it a little but Linux is the only OS I'm really familar with.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'd get a dell inspiron 2.8ghz with 512mb ram 40gb hard disk cdrw/dvd builtin wireless and buy a brand new clone pc with 120gb harddisk for the same price and put ubuntu on both
    But since I have a fairly new 2ghz p4 laptop- id buy a nice PC with a 250gb drive and nice vid card and another to make into a media center and take the other $500 bucks and let it sit in the bank

I dont see any benefit in apple products unless you are trying to fit in with an already existing infrastructure- or do publishing/printing etc.
    What's the benefit of OSx? I'm aware of it's performance claims which can be duplicated on other operating systems. The software for it is limited so what's so great about it?
    Last edited by Magneto; November 30th, 2004 at 12:08 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Magneto
    I dont see any benefit in apple products unless you are trying to fit in with an already existing infrastructure- or do publishing/printing etc.
    What's the benefit of OSx? I'm aware of it's performance claims which can be duplicated on other operating systems. The software for it is limited so what's so great about it?
    do you consider movie making publishing? there are a few things that shine on apple: iMovie and iTunes and garageband. ok well audacity does everything garageband does, but that doesnt make garageband a bad program. personally i use audacity, it is great. iTunes, well you have rythmbox(which i use exclusively) but you cant buy music(i know its DRMed but it is a nice legal way to purchase music imo and you can break the DRM anyway(see hymn) ). iMovie is great. its easy to use and very cool. i have searched long and hard for the iMove killer(gpl program) and i have not found it or was able to get it to work. i have tried kino(which i got working in ubuntu) and it is great for extracting video and doing simple editing, however if you want to overlay music or titles, you are kinda SOL, those features will come later, which i am waiting for. i have not been able to run ceinerella(SP?) or lives yet. ceinerella(SP?) and lives both look like good programs i just havent hacked around to get them working yet. anyone had any luck in that area, let me know.

just my .02.
    Cheerful Ghost - build your game list, write about awesome games and share that with the world. join us!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Multimedia - movies publishing audio composition etc

Valid point Jdodson but we are comparing free software to very expensive software and there's only dvd composition where you couldnt find a good replacement in GNU. Kino looks good- You can try Polidori for a iDVD replacement.

I really just don't see the advantages for most end-users. I use amarok/xmms, Limewire, Azureus, gmplayer, xine, realplayer10, evolution, firefox1, gaim,xchat, openoffice.org, grip and k3b day to day - those probably cover the main functionalities all people use and I think those are as good or better than most other equivalents
    I would like to see a good GNU pdf authoring app though

not arguing, apple makes nice eyecandy I just don't see spending the extra - for me at least

the iTitle iCrap iWhich iIs iSimilar iTo iA iCertain KDE kcould kget kto kme

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast