View Poll Results: OS X or Ubuntu (when money isn't an issue) ?

Voters
344. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ubuntu

180 52.33%
  • OS X

164 47.67%
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: just curious OSX vs ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: just curious OSX vs ubuntu

Voting for MacOSX.
    I got myself a powerbook 12'' and OSX is really the best os available today, both for powerusers and beginners. I can't wait when Tiger hits the shelfs. SPOTLIGHT!

Beans

Angry Re: just curious OSX vs ubuntu

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!?!?

ARE YOU FORGETTING THE REASON RMS DEVELOPED THE GNU OPERATING SYSTEM?
    FREEDOM!

Macintosh is the same as Windows it's proprietary software. With proprietary software you don't have freedom, without freedom you can't do the following:

*Take a look at the source code...

*Change the source code so that it fits your needs or because it is nessessary for the survival of the program...

*Restribute the program to help your neighbors...

*Form a real community where people help each other...

And lets not forget this RMS quote:

Quote Originally Posted by RMS
    "If you value freedom, you will resist the temptation to use a program that takes away your freedom, whatever technical advantages it may have."
    And I believe that quote. I would rather use a program that doesn't work as well but is free than sign away all my rights by agreeing with the EULA and being a bad person and not being able to share with anyone else...
    Last edited by BWF89; January 2nd, 2005 at 11:08 PM.

Beans

im running a 14" iBook and have ditched OS X for Ubuntu. Linux is far superior.

Sure you got the lovely iCandy (see wot i did ) but at end of the day i wanted a system that worked. OS X is nice but very restricted in what you can actually do under the hood. Sure they got a UNIX system underneath but it is very well hidden and tucked up and if you did muck it up you cant easily put it back together.

The thing as what has been mention, Linux under the GNU area is FREEDOM. Apple may come the next Microsoft then we all be fighting that. Apple hardware is way better than PC hardware and if you tweak Linux it will use the hardware very well. The thing about Linux is it runs on everything, OS X only runs on apple hardware...

There is many reason but i can say being on OS X and running Linux, Linux is far superior for custmoziable to admin to everything....

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BWF89
    Mac OS's are the worst thing that has ever happened to computers. I can't believe ANYONE would want to use a Mac when they could use Windows or Linux. I hate the 1 button mouse. I just hate everything about it. Sorry if I got a little extreme there but I am just getting tired to useing those stupid iMacs everytime I want to surf the net at the school library during studyhall (which is everyday so I know what I'm talking about)...
    HEhe agree Of course the worse thing for me is Mac laptops don't have a trackpoint . I refuse to use touchpads on latops, they cause hand strain and are annoying when typing. I need to switch my hands on PC mouses already, and touchpad doesn't do it sorry!

Only IBM have trackpoint laptops though.

Beans

When I posted that anti-Mac post that has been my experince for Mac OS through Mac 9.2. I have yet to try OSX...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sorin Paliga
    What may happen if Apple succeeds in porting MAC OS X to intel and amd pc's?
    Its not a "what if" or "when" ... Apple is currently running OSX on Pentium based machines at Apple ... its all just a matter of them deciding to box the darn thing up and sell it.

When I posted that anti-Mac post that has been my experince for Mac OS through Mac 9.2. I have yet to try OSX...
    There is a night and day difference between 9 and X. To be honest, other then the words "Macintosh" and "Apple", Mac OS X and OS 9 aren't even related to each other.

I'm a graphic designer, and have been doing design on computers since the late '80s ... I've been both a Mac and Windows user as long as Sorin Paliga and frankly I've always thought Mac OS was overhyped trash until OSX. With OSX Apple took a quantum leap over Windows ... Prior to OSX, I'd say OS 9.2 was about as sophisticated as Windows 3.1 (hell, it didn't even multi-task)

Since OSX is based on BSD Unix, there's lots of stuff that Linux users will love ... for one thing there's a terminal that runs all the same bash commands that Linux/Unix does. And you can install X-11 and run all the GNU *nix software you like now.

Beans

Ubuntu

Because it is GPL'ed and it is free (as in speech).
    Apple does a good job slapping a GUI on FreeBSD though (the downside IMO to the BSD license).

Beans

Mac OS's are the worst thing that has ever happened to computers. I can't believe ANYONE would want to use a Mac when they could use Windows or Linux. I hate the 1 button mouse. I just hate everything about it. Sorry if I got a little extreme there but I am just getting tired to useing those stupid iMacs everytime I want to surf the net at the school library during studyhall (which is everyday so I know what I'm talking about)...
    Well, the Mac GUI is actually superior to Windows from a design perspective. Have you ever seen someone who's first computer was a Mac use Windows?

I do agree that using windows for several years does make it harder to conform to the Mac interface.... but that is another issue. If you were using the Mac only, your habbits would quickly follow.

Technically, OS X is great, it is a modified version of FreeBSD which is famous for it's stabiltity and security.

Note to flame anyone, but IMO Microsoft is the worst thing that ever happened to computing, not because of the terrible quality of their products, but their agressive monopolisation of the industry.

Beans

Lets set a few things straight. Apple has done as much for free software as many of the current lot of companies publicly jumping on the open-source bandwagon.

Ever hear of
    Rendezvous/Zero-conf?
    Darwin?
    Khtml?
    Open Directory?
    Kerberos?
    CUPS?
    OpenPlay?
    GCC?

All open-source projects either run by, or contributed to by Apple. Almost the entireity of the core of OS X is available in source form under an OSI approved license. With the exception of Quartz and the iApps you can build a fully functional (in RMS's terms) system from source.

And to clarify, Apple uses software from a few BSD-licensed projects and releases their modified source under the OSI-approved APSL, which has more in common with the GPL than the original BSD license. This is a rare move as it is not required under the BSD license - just ask Bill Gates to see the Windows TCP stack (taken from BSD ages ago).

quoted from above:

*Take a look at the source code...
    http://www.opensource.apple.com/darwinsource/index.html

*Change the source code so that it fits your needs or because it is nessessary for the survival of the program...
    See section 2.2 of the APSL

*Restribute the program to help your neighbors...
    See section 2.2(c) of the APSL

*Form a real community where people help each other...
    Been to ADC lately?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tomchuk
    Lets set a few things straight. Apple has done as much for free software as many of the current lot of companies publicly jumping on the open-source bandwagon.
    AFAIK Apple has given back to GPL projects that it used in it's products (amongst others, the KHTML core it used from the KDE project).
    It does not however give back the many enhancements it made to the FreeBSD system (decent USB2 support comes to mind) and it is not required to do so.

Apple combines technologies from other organisations (such as MIT Kerberos) into it's products. I do not know if they give back modification they make to it.
    Again, AFAIK, Open Directory is based on MIT kerberos and OpenLDAP which are not Apple projects.

Now, I'm not flaming Apple for doing this, they are complying fully with the licenses of the projects the incorporate and that is nice.
    And I do commend them for using open standards in their products, so we can integrate with their systems.

Yet, I do not consider them strong supporters of the Free Software movement.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast