View Poll Results: OS X or Ubuntu (when money isn't an issue) ?

Voters
344. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ubuntu

180 52.33%
  • OS X

164 47.67%
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: just curious OSX vs ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.04

Re: just curious OSX vs ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xequence
    I think what was meant was that although linux is great on the desktop, OSX beats it. But linux beats it extremly on the server...

And I wouldent doubt if everyone was offered a free ibook they would take it
    I agree. Linux wipes the floor with OS X as a server.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by brian.reading
    I agree. Linux wipes the floor with OS X as a server.
    Linux is the server OS. It is perfect for it, it is stable and is something that I reliable. Windows is a desktop OS with server features added in at a later point (permissions etc) while Linux is built from the ground up to support those kind of things. But, saying that, OS X is nothing more than a modified version of FreeBSD with a sleek GUI added on-top of it. While I do still get all of those things on OS X I never need them as such. They are hidden from me, while there are still permissions they are something that you do not need to know about to be able to use the operating system. My user which is an administrator can do most things, like delete files (no more sudo chown -R freddie <folder>).
    A while ago one of my friends who was thinking about switching to Linux asked me "So, when will Linux be a 'true' desktop operating system like OS X or Windows" and I said "When you are able to use it for a week without having to touch the command line!" Now, Linux is no longer hard to install, some might say that Windows is easier, however some Linux distributions have amazing installers (Ubuntu has a mostly fire-and-forget install system, but I did have to skip a stage to get it to install) but it is no longer a hard thing to do. The scrolling text that you see as your computer boots up also 'scares' newbies, as sometimes when you boot-up you will get a warning which can send people nuts, making them think that there is something really wrong with the operating system. Saying that, there is a project to replace it with a nice loader, complete with progress bar and all (I have not had a chance to see it yet, however).
    Another thing which can make Linux less attractive as a beginner desktop OS is that not every program has a GUI, which is very important, on OS X and Windows you can expect 99% of the programs that you download with have some sort of GUI, but you can not be sure of that for Linux, most of them do have GUI-admistation programs that you can download for them, but often you are required to look for them. A better way would be to check if you currently have a GUI (e.g. have X) and if you do bundle the GUI admin program with it.
    Just my £0.2

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie
    "So, when will Linux be a 'true' desktop operating system like OS X or Windows" and I said "When you are able to use it for a week without having to touch the command line!"
    Sooooo.....SUSE 9.3. Right now.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011