Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Going to Fedora Core 3 for a while...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Going to Fedora Core 3 for a while...

I think I'll actually research UserMode Linux, and do testing inside there.

Yes, I do use the latest official kernel, plus patches I can't live without (like swsusp2)
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Not that I'm very much into selinux, but after fc3 install I had to disable it totally, it won't let me create any new user (no permission on /etc/password). Even with their permissive policy.
    Also, the kernel on Fedora is really slow with pentium4 (there is a bug opened), and in general has very slow syscalls beacause of exec-shield.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hmm, since Athlon64's are fully compatible with -march=pentium4 optimization, there might be a problem in that case, too!

But even with my own kernel -- virtually the same one I'm using on Ubuntu now, I still get AWFUL disk performance in FC3.
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans

Trader! Trader! Just kidding. =)

You running different distros brings up one of the great strengths of GNU/Linux which is diversity (aka "hybrid vigor" if you may) . No one distro is the "best". Fedora is an excellent distro. For two years I ran RH Linux and liked it (even paid for RHN which was a good deal). If RH hadn't killed it off for RH Enterprise WS I might still be there (since, for me, there was no big reason to try another distro).

Gentoo was my next one which is also quite good. It reminds me of owning an old VW bug, lots of tweaking but when it runs right it runs very well. I enjoyed that but didn't have the time to play with it so I looked for something else and found Ubuntu. It runs great from the start with little adjustment. A first class distro and is what I use for my personal/work machines. It's also what I recommend 95% of the time for use on a workstation. I still use Gentoo on our servers but might change some day. Off topic but next year I'll have the company almost Microsoft free (still need one Win2k server with terminal services for the Accounting staff). Ubuntu will be replacing XP.

For the last few months or so my boss has been trying to get a contract to supply a couple of call centers (inbound reservation center, about 60 seats per site) with new workstations and a support contract. They only have two applications that the users need to access and I'll most likely use a customized version of Gentoo. The contract also includes about 10 seats for "general" office type workstations and I'll use Ubuntu for those. Ubuntu is just too much (meaning I'd have to strip away most of it) for the call center seats and Gentoo is too much of a hassle to set up and maintain for the office staff. Not to mention Ubuntu is, IMO, much more user friendly.

People need to understand that jdong's switch is not because of a weakness in Ubuntu but a strength in Fedora. No one distro will, and shouldn't, fit everyone. jdong is smart enough to realize that. That's why he's still running Ubuntu on other boxes.

It's fun to trash talk other distros but in the end it should just be in jest. All the other distros* do, to some extent, work together.

*Except OpenLinux by Caldera (aka SCO). I would touch that thing with a 3m cattle prod. =)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Guess what.... I'm running Fedora again!

It occured to me (in a dream last night) that perhaps undoing exec-shield and doing normal prelinking would improve performance.

So here I am, testing my hypothesis...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

*L* It actually occurred to you in a dream? I guess that doesn't seem to weird, but it's one of those things you hear about all the time that just never seem to happen.

Ah well, let us know how it goes

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It's worse when I realize in a dream that I left out a negative sign on # 16 (a) on a math test I took the day before -- and there's 7 parts! ouch, there's a sleepless night

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Oh yeah, yum is a piece of crap.... Apt4rpm is hundreds of times faster and more efficient!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jdong
    Oh yeah, yum is a piece of crap.... Apt4rpm is hundreds of times faster and more efficient!
    preaching to the choir there buddy. One of the main reasons I decided to switch away from RH based distros. That was before I knew about apt4rpm, but I don't regret it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

heh, once again, back to Hoary fun.

Trying to rip SELinux from Fedora, though!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast