Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial of the Week Discussion Thread

Hybrid View

Tutorial of the Week Discussion Thread

Hi. This is the discussion thread for the Tutorial of the Week thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=655207

The Tutorial of the Week is something new the staff has started, in hopes of highlighting some of the best tutorials the forum has to offer, and maybe improve the quality of that section too.

If you have one you'd like to suggest, or if you have a question about the project, feel free to comment here.

Cheers!
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Smile Re: Tutorial of the Week Discussion Thread

This is an excellent idea. When tutorials got split off into a separate forum, they withered and died a slow death. I guess not as many people saw the posts, and those that post for fame and honor felt no need to contribute? Anywho, subscribed and ready to be tutored. Thanks!

Re: Tutorial of the Week Discussion Thread

No problem. It might seem like the Tutorials and Tips section doesn't get much attention, but we probably see at least three tutorials a day that are submitted -- and dozens when we hit a release date.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by K.Mandla View Post
    ...for the week of December 31, 2006 (the first week of 2007)...
    Uh, is this a year old or did you not realize it just turned 2008? Guessing just a minor typo.

Anyway, great idea, there is a lot of good info in there and it can be hard to go through it all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I will humbly recommend the following tutorial on setting up Ampache (an http front-end for MPD):
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=546007

It should probably also be moved out of ABT and into the Tutorials section.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Quote Originally Posted by Crashmaxx View Post
    Uh, is this a year old or did you not realize it just turned 2008? Guessing just a minor typo.

Anyway, great idea, there is a lot of good info in there and it can be hard to go through it all.
    DOH!

... thanks ...

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

that's a great idea! It would bring more attention to that forum and kinda be a reward

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Great idea, lets hope this thread goes somewhere.

Beans

Hi,

I wonder if it is a little bold of me to suggest a tutorial of my own that I put an immense amount of work into which deals with setting up the svn mplayer:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=558538

It has been highly popular with 11,000 views since September 2007 and I hope to produce a similar but improved version for Hardy Heron when it comes out.

Just so I don't seem like a totally self-obsessed man can I also bring attention to one of the community documentation pages? I realise that it is not part of the Ubuntu Forums as such, but in spirit it belongs to the tutorial sections. I used it extensively to setup Gnupg with mutt and found it the best documentation available:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GnuPrivacyGuardHowto

Great idea for a thread, I will follow it with keen interest!

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Im not trying to slam that thread by any means because a lot of time was spent writing the instructions, HOWEVER, it really doesnt go into the nuances of GPG -- I believe a must for anyone who is serious about using GPG correctly.

Specifically key types (rsa vs dsa vs dsa2), key lengths (1024 vs 2048 vs 4096 or other values), encryption ciphers (how a default set of encryption ciphers are written into the public keys, how to override the default cipher set, how to force a cipher even if not offered in the public key, and which ciphers you should probably be using), signature hashes (how a default set of hashes are written in to the public key, how to override the default hash set, how to force a hash, and which hash(es) are recommded).

Additionally it doesnt expose the recent vulnerabilities of the SHA1 hash (which is currently the default hash used for the default dsa key set).

And although even a little bit more on the technical side, it should give instructions how to compile from svn and enable the idea and camellia ciphers.

An additional brief discussion of the dsa vs dsa2 cipher set could also be included -- what it means in terms of security and possible hashes that are available -- and what repercussions it would have on users using older versions of gnupg.

Just my 5 cents. Id like to write on these topics.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast