• dotReader
    • calibre

Recommendations?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: favorite epub reader?

Well calibre and fbreader are both available in Synaptic so why not try them out. For my own view, I've used Calibre and been distinctly underwhelmed by its ability to do anything with .lit files so I just install MS Reader in Wine instead for now. Should Calibre reach a point of being a better program I'll use it.
    Last edited by Nerd King; February 26th, 2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Grrr synaptic came up, pressed return and then pressed return on this by accident

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Can anyone add to this thread now that 10.04 is out? Im looking for a decent epub reader myself and there are quite a few to choose from. Which one's are the better then average ones I guess would be my question thx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I've used Calibre through several of it's revs, on 8.10 on to 10.04. Works great for me. I use it as a consolidated place to read all the documents I need to read through....

I don't have an e book reader anymore but I use it on my netbook to gather magazine's and news off the 'net for reading off-line. I recently got a Droid and it has an ebook reader (FBReader?) and I use calibre to convert PDF's and other ebook formats, for use on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use Calibre mainly to convert to epub. After that I use FBreader. I find FBreader works great. It pick up where I left off. Also, I changed the background to black and the text to gray, for better viewing. It can also change the font to your liking. Not to mentioned it load faster.
    Last edited by Chromagnum; May 2nd, 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by ds77 View Post
    Can anyone add to this thread now that 10.04 is out? Im looking for a decent epub reader myself and there are quite a few to choose from. Which one's are the better then average ones I guess would be my question thx
    If you only need a reader app, fbreader is best, in my opinion. Calibre can be used as a reader, but it's mainly a cataloging and conversion app. It also has the ability to download RSS feeds and create ebooks from them. A neat feature, but it's overkill for me personally.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I can see a use for both in my case. Thanks for the help, I will check them out.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Anyone tried Lucidor??
    Pax Vobiscum
    ...mark

Beans

Firefox has a great Epub extension called EpubReader! Use it all the time, and it's crossplatform

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Good suggestion, rph2go. Both calibre and fbreader are good, calibre for organising a library and fbreader for viewing, as mentioned.