Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial of the Week

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Tutorial of the Week

September 07, 2009

Many times, users having computers not connected to the internet or on very slow connections come to the forums and ask how they can update/upgrade their setup. BobSongs has written a very useful and well written and supported thread, where other users also came to give input and improve the tutorial. The thread has been live for 2 1/2 years and covers all supported ubuntu releases and major environments (ubuntu, kubuntu and xubuntu). Thank you BobSongs!

How To: Make Your Own Ubuntu Repository DVDs
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

September 21, 2009

DSDT (Differentiated System Description Table) is in the BIOS and this is where the OS looks for hardware and configuration info. It sometimes needs to be adjusted, in particular regarding ACPI. 67GTA has written a comprehensive tutorial for Ubuntu and Linux Mint: "HOWTO Fix A Buggy DSDT File" which currently works only up to Jaunty 9.04 release. I'm not sure I understand all the details, but reading through the thread, members seem to be able to fix a large range of ACPI related issues.

Credits to unutbu who suggested the tutorial. As unutbu puts it:
    It is kind of amazing (at least to me) that fixing one file can solve such a variety of problems.
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

September 28, 2009

This tutorial from kaivalagi is for conky users and will help you pull Google Calendar events in conky, respecting local date and time with different customizations. All packages are in a PPA, with versions from Hardy up to Karmic. Please make sure that in addition to this "Conky Google Calendar Python Script" tutorial you have a look at "Conky Weather Forecast Python Script" form the same author.

Enjoy!
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

October 05, 2009.

Quite often, there is a delay between latest stable application version from an upstream project and updated version from the Ubuntu repositories. This gap is quite important with ALSA. Here is a tutorial from soundcheck that will help you install the latest official stable ALSA release: "ALSA Upgrade Script". The script should be used with caution as it installs packages itself without going through official repositories. A restore option is provided to reinstall sensitive packages and get them back to their previous Ubuntu version. Many sound issues appear to be solved by this tutorial! Sound should be treated like video via restricted hardware..

Enjoy
    Last edited by bapoumba; October 4th, 2009 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Fixed the links.
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

October 12, 2009

Today we'll step out of the Tutorial & Tips section to visit two tutorials, one of them in T&T, the other one in the current Karmic Development section. Both threads will let you know everything you always wanted to know about grub2 (but were afraid to ask). Both are from drs305. grub2 is default with Karmic and can be installed on Jaunty.

The first one, "GRUB 2 Basics" will get you started with grub2, in particular with the /boot/grub/grub.cfg and /etc/default/grub
    files. The second one, "Grub 2 Title Tweaks Thread" will help you tweak grub2 titles to your desire. Before upgrading to Karmic, make sure you read both of them!

Special mention to ranch hand's "Grub2 Introduction" for links to documentation.
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

October 19, 2009

This week we'll make an exception as this thread is not a real Tutorial, and the OP has been MIA for three years.. But the thread in Community Cafe is full of tweaks and tips to customize .conckrc files, nearly 1000 standard pages of them, almost 1000 replies and 1,500,500 views (as I write). This popular thread is where people go for help and others give advice about concky. We all know Ubuntu (and more generally Linux) users love to have a desktop no one else has. This thread is a good place to start. Global congratulations!

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=281865
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

November 9, 2009.

This week, we'll highlight a tutorial from dmizer, one of the ubuntuforums moderators. dmizer is contributing to a large and never ending project: having Ubuntu and Windows talk to each other. Really worth noting!

"Howto: Fix Windows share browsing issues" will help you place everyone in the same workgroup, know each other's names, be able to talk though the walls, even the firewalls, share stuff and much more. Last but not least, dmizer will give you personalised support if your computers do not wish to cooperate.

Well, I cannot believe this tutorial had slipped thought the holes, all fixed now
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

November 30, 2009

When the trend is to always have shinier and more interactive installs, some like them minimal, because they use older machines, netbooks, laptops configured for speed.. You can tweak and adjust Linux distributions to fit your own needs, that is one of the magic features Ubuntu (and other distributions) offers.

TheShiv started a thread this spring, and others have taken over since then: "HowTo Achieve "Ubuntu-Desktop-Minimal". If you skip the past few negative comments, the thread is full of useful informations, suggestions, scripts and points of view. For karmic tweaks, please reach the end of the thread.

Enjoy !
    Last edited by bapoumba; November 30th, 2009 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Typo
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

January 4, 2009

Want to try another desktop environment? Give e17 a try. Enlightenment is not just another windows manager. It comes with a whole set of libraries. You can set up a minimal install (please see previous ToW) and add e17. Everything is explained in "HOWTO: installation of e17 from SVN code" and maintained by Rui Pais , smartboyathome and Tux Aubrey.

With their help, you will be able to set up a unique desktop!
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aha! Just when you thought the Tutorial of the Week had expired, it comes roaring back to life!

As a startup for this encore performance, we have this lovely piece of work: Fooshnik's essay on setting up an Ubuntu 10.04 Primary Domain Controller.

You would be hard-pressed to find a tutorial that is easier to follow than this one. Color-coded commands make it easy to skim and scan, code boxes break out important text, and the narrative is complete and well written. It is as much a lesson on how to build a tutorial as it is on how to build a primary domain controller.

Even if the topic is beyond your interest or ability, it's definitely worth looking over as an example of a clean and crisp tutorial. Well done, well done.
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast