Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Tutorial of the Week

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Tutorial of the Week

The Tutorials of the Week will restart soon. Same Bat Time, Same Bat Channel!!!
    Mike: "The hardest questions in life are the ones worth answering"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The tutorial of the week for May 11, 2009, is HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope from andrew.46.

This is a nifty tutorial that will show you how to successfully compile the subversion MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope. For memory, ubuntu-freak's "Comprehensive Multimedia & Video Howto" was the Tutorial of the Week for October 06, 2008 and should be used if you do not wish to compile applications.

This tutorial is very well presented, and, most of all, supported. You can even browse a recent tutorial from the same author, "Top 10 Tricks and Tips for the svn MPlayer" that focuses on MPlayer usage. Long hours of fun ahead!
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

May, 18, 2009.
    This week's featured tutorial is "Comprehensive ndiswrapper troubleshooting guide" by pytheas22. This tutorial is well written, regularly updated and supported, and has been very popular. If you have troubles configuring ndiswrapper even thought it properly installed, this is the place to look at. Wireless is just a few steps away!
    J'aime les fraises.

| Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

June 1st, 2009.

This week, we step again out of the Tutorial & Tips section of the forums, to highlight psyke83's gigantic HOWTO: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide. Intel graphic hardware is quite popular and Intel drivers code has been extensively developed. Jaunty has some problems with the latest intel drivers or acceleration method. You can choose one of the three proposed methods, from safe, to optimal and the always risky bleeding edge.

We hope this will help ou with Intel video chips, please feel free to post your questions in the thread, psyke83 is actively supporting his tutorial.

See you next week !
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

June 8, 2009

This week we are highlighting a thread that has been active and supported by frodon since October 20, 2005! This comprehensive "HOWTO : Create a FTP server with user access (proftpd)" is for you if you are willing to share files with friends over FTP protocol with proftpd, with username/password features (so only people you gave access will be able to get the files). Encryption is also detailed. Please do not hesitate to ask questions in the thread, frodon is always around to help people out.

Many thanks, frodon
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

July 6, 2009.

This week we would like to highlight FakeOutdoorsman's well written and nicely presented "HOWTO: Easily enable MP3, MPEG4, AAC, and other restricted encoding in FFmpeg". As pointed out in the thread, this tutorial clears up some confusion linked to legal reasons restricting the abilities of the ubuntu provided FFmpeg package. Several options are provided, along with the steps to follow to revert changes and remove the restricted packages. Well done!
    Last edited by bapoumba; July 3rd, 2009 at 08:05 PM.
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

July 13, 2009.

tinivole has put together all the instructions to solve problems when using NViDIA video cards of the 8400 series and up. He is actively supporting his tutorial and many people have given input. Debugging steps are suggested if all does not go as per the book, as well as reverting the changes and going back to the ubuntu supported drivers.

The tutorial is located here: HowTo: NViDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu

Enjoy and see you soon
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

July 27, 2009.

Who has never used Firefox? This tutorial from lovinglinux, "Firefox optimization and troubleshooting thread" has rapidly gained a lot of attention. So if you are interested in various Firefox optimizations (speed, extensions, Flash, profiles etc.) this tutorial is for you. The thread is well written and organized, steps to revert the changes are presented and lovinglinux will give you support if you have any question.

Enjoy! bapoumba will return next for our next episode of Tutorial of the Week. Stay tuned!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

August 24, 2009

This is the second ToW from master_kernel, a very popular and supported tutorial started in December 2006. Such dedication and popularity had to be recognized. Ever dreamed to compile your kernel? Check the "Master Kernel Thread" and dive! master_kernel will be there to give you a hand. Nice work, see you soon
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

August 31, 2009

This week we will explore some basic networking skills, and how to block IP lists from the GUI. uljanow has written a very popular "HOWTO: Graphical IP Blocker" which he's been actively supporting for two years now. The thread is huge and uljanow made it easy for beginners. Please stop by!
    J'aime les fraises.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast