View Poll Results: Was this howto helpful to you?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 90.91%
  • No

1 9.09%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Turn Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) into Ubuntu Studio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thumbs up HOWTO: Turn Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) into Ubuntu Studio

Here is my first howto. Enjoy!
    Okay, this is what I did to convert my existing Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntu Studio.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-gdm-theme ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins ubuntustudio-default-settings ubuntustudio-icon-theme ubuntustudiolauncher ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-look ubuntustudio-menu ubuntustudio-screensaver ubuntustudio-sounds ubuntustudio-wallpapers ubuntustudio-video usplash-theme-ubuntustudio ubuntustudio-theme
    That should install all the Ubuntu Studio packages and their dependencies. (ubuntustudio-desktop removes ubuntu-desktop as a dependency) If you do not have the required packages they depend on, just allow apt to install them. Now for the removing of the regular Ubuntu components.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove gtk2-engines-ubuntulooks gutsy-wallpapers human-theme ubuntu-artwork ubuntu-minimal usplash-theme-ubuntu
    You see? Nothing to it! Now you should be completely running Ubuntu Studio after a reboot!
    Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-CM
    CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.4GHz
    HDD: Maxtor 250GB
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 350 (Blue and Black)

-grubby is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Turn Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy) into Ubuntu Studio

I've reported this to be moved to tutorials & tips (don't worry, you shouldn't worry about getting any infraction or anything)
    btw, nice guide

Moved to tips and tutorials.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, Nathan. Doing my best over here

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Very nice! My compliments for a good tutorial!

Beans
    Distro

Will this mess up my configuaration???
    Windows has detected a mouse movement, Please restart your computer for effects to take place.

Beans

This does not include the real-time kernel.

You can also see the Ubuntu Help Wiki Page for Updating from Gusty to Studio.

Beans
    Distro

I tried it, and it did screw up my configuration, in grub, I now have 8 choices of OSs instead of the former 6. The first one fails to star X andt GDM, the second one is the recovery version, the third one is what I had before but with Ubuntu Studio applications the fourth one is it's recovery mode. The 4 others are Win$hit and a previous kernel version (that I never tried...). I don't want the first two showing up because the new entery's normal mode became the default option and also I do not want to clutter up GRUB with a bunch of stuff.
    Talking about GRUB, for some reason it thinks that I bought my computer with not only vista preinstalled but also XP wich actuall exists is on a 10 GB partition (very wiered...)
    Windows has detected a mouse movement, Please restart your computer for effects to take place.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by dummyhead3 View Post
    I tried it, and it did screw up my configuration, in grub, I now have 8 choices of OSs instead of the former 6. The first one fails to star X andt GDM, the second one is the recovery version, the third one is what I had before but with Ubuntu Studio applications the fourth one is it's recovery mode. The 4 others are Win$hit and a previous kernel version (that I never tried...). I don't want the first two showing up because the new entery's normal mode became the default option and also I do not want to clutter up GRUB with a bunch of stuff.
    Talking about GRUB, for some reason it thinks that I bought my computer with not only vista preinstalled but also XP wich actuall exists is on a 10 GB partition (very wiered...)
    Code:
    gksu gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Look for this line:
    ## ## End Default Options ##
    Under that you should see 8 blocks, each block is for a different kernel. If the first two are the ones causing problems, comment them by adding a # in front of them. Example:

#title Ubuntu 7.10, kernel 2.6.22-14-generic
    #root (hd0,1)
    #kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22-14-generic #root=UUID=79b94531-e9c2-423f-b10e-19d1f6eab496 ro
    #initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.22-14-generic
    #quiet[/quote]

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dummyhead3 View Post
    very strange to me, dummyhead3. When I did it it did not mess anything up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast